Installing electric head in B 321

RHart

Dec 12, 2019
Beneteau 321 Lake Orion, MI
I’m installing a Saniflo electric head in a 2000 Beneteau 321. The Saniflo electric head (made in France) is attractive because it fits in the same footprint as the Jabsco manual. My problem is running the 12v. Power from the circuit panel to the head. I’ve tried to run a snake through the port under the galley sink and the conduit behind the stove. If I can get to the area beneath the water heater, I can probably judiciously drill some holes to get to the opening behind the head. Anybody have any advice (other than going back to a manual head)?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Maybe there is a conduit up and through the ceiling? My B323 owner manual shows all of the conduits. "Behind the stove"? You sure that's not the gas hose conduit?

Last edited:

RHart

Dec 12, 2019
Maybe there is a conduit up and through the ceiling? My B323 owner manual shows all of the conduits. "Behind the stove"? You sure that's not the gas hose conduit?
Ron,
Thanks for the reply. There are 4 conduit electric feeds shown in the B321 manual plus a propane feed behind the B321 stove. I have located all conduits. There are other conduits going fore and aft, but no path up to the ceiling.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Do you have a sump for your shower , can you steal the power used for it ,you would not be running both at the same time . Or run the wires all the way around behind stove thru cabinet down under fridge thru engine compartment under bed ,thru locker into head . Mine had a hole drilled thru stringer under seat ,and I can tell you it took me hours with a fish to finally get it

RHart

Dec 12, 2019
I don’t have a sump for the shower. There is a valve manifold on the bilge pump inlet. To drain the shower, valve off the bilge strainer, valve on the shower drain and turn on the bilge pump. Then don’t forget to shut the shower drain and open the bilge strainer when done showering.
I have spent enough hours with a wire fish and launch time is coming up soon. So, I took a temporary short cut. I’m installing a small 14Ah battery in the head area near a 120v. power outlet. I’ll install a battery tender trickle charger in the ac outlet to charge the battery when hooked up to shore power. I calculate that the 14Ah battery (without recharging) will probably be enough current for 30 - 40 flushes. I’ll probably try to hook up to my primary batteries next winter when I could have more patience.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Do you have a sump for your shower , can you steal the power used for it ,you would not be running both at the same time .
Bad idea. All electric toilets should be on their own dedicated circuit, shared by nothing else, not even cabin lights. You can assume that something else on the same circuit would never be running at the same time, but that "something else" may not need the same wire size that the toilet needs--which can vary depending on the round trip distance from the power source. And the right wire size matters, 'cuz low voltage to the toilet is the most common reason for sluggish discharge...it can even burn out the toilet motor. So read and FOLLOW *all* the installation instructions if you want to avoid electrical and plumbing problems.

--Peggie

RHart

Dec 12, 2019
Peggie,
Good points. I had planned to run 15-20 feet with 10 ga. wire from a 25A breaker to meet the toilet spec for current draw.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have not put an electric head in my B323, but because of the layout of my boat, with the head in the starboard corner of the cabin, I have been able to pull wire from the starboard lazarette area which is directly across from my batteries. I managed to fish the wire under the water heater in the lazarette through the bulkhead between the head and the lazarette and end up beneath the sink. It was really fairly simple. Hopefully, you will be able to find a way to accomplish what you need to do.

RHart

Dec 12, 2019
Thanks for the idea. I think that I will try the route that Mechone took. Although it sounds a little like the song about “going to grandma’s house” the route through the aft bedroom seems manageable.