Installing Anemometer on Masthead - what should I expect?

May 17, 2023
Hunter 28 High Cliff State Park
I'm adding a Raymarine wind transducer to the top of my Hunter 28 mast this weekend. I've already run the instrument wire inside my cabin through the existing conduit so I'm good there. Our club is renting a lift for the weekend and I'm hoping to avoid stepping the mast entirely. I don't know what to expect when I get to the top! Is there a masthead lid that I take off to access the wiring conduit? Is there a wiring conduit? I assume there must be because wire already runs up the mast to my antenna and to my anchor light.

Once I've installed the transducer and the wire is running to the bottom of the mast I know I have to expose the bottom to access the hole to feed the wire through to the cabin (and connect it properly). Can I only partially step the mast as planned? Any experienced advice is welcome! Thanks.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Perhaps it would be better to have a professional do that installation?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Do you unstep?

If you have a lift available why not drop a weighted messenger.. Unstep the mast, and do the needed work Drilling and tapping will be easier when the mast is across a set of saw horses..

Assuming this is a deck stepped mast.. Might I suggest that you use flat trailer connectors as a connecting point.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not sure about your mast…on my O’Day 322, there is a big cap that would have to come off to access the top inside of the mast. This may give you an idea….but I have no idea what is on top of your mast.

IMG_3187_Original.jpeg

You may be better running some sort of messenger line down the mast (paracord or something) with a length of bike chain or a stack nuts on the rope to help get it down the mast…then pull your cable with the messenger line…

You will also need to mount some sort of base for the anemometer (you can see it in my photo). That may require drilling and tapping the bolt holes…

If you can unstep the mast, that may be easier than trying to do these tasks suspended 37’ in the air, where you will have a hard time getting above the mast (unless the “lift” you are renting is a man-lift).

I was up on my mast last weekend to replace my windex light, install my windex and put my anemometer up for the season. I could not get my head above the mast….so everything had to be done by feel…above my head. No way I could have drilled and tapped holes in my mast head like that.

Good luck.

Greg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Is it too late to get a wireless transducer system?

Mine is a Tac Tic wireless and has been working great for many years…and no need to run wires down the mast.

Just a thought….

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
As I've posted before, I would not go up a mast for any reason. I would do the work while the mast is on saw horses or do without the instrumentation.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Without seeing photos of the masthead, it is difficult to offer opinions. It might be a simple job, or not. There are a few issues to consider, the top of the masthead, it may or may not be conducive to a simple installation. When I replaced my wind sensors it was necessary to fabricate an aluminum mounting plate and attach that to the mast with screws and an adhesive sealant.

The cable will need to go down inside the mast, is there a hole to feed the cable through? Is there a conduit? Can the conduit be accessed without removing the masthead? On the boats I've owned, the backstay and forestay are attached to the masthead, rendering it impossible to safely remove the masthead fitting while the mast is up. It was necessary to remove the fitting in order to access the conduit.

An experienced and skilled rigger may have some better ideas, however, for a first time install I think it will easier and safer to drop the mast.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
+1 for unstepping the mast. You'll be spending more time than you think fishing the cable through properly. It's also a good time to check the halyard block(s), and lights. I replaced my lightweight lighting wires with 16ga cable. Don't need it to carry LED loads, but it's stronger mechanically as it's suspended at the mast top.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
Your masthead is probably similar to our’s on our 92 Hunter 30. Installing the transducer base and fishing the cable down the mast to the jumper above the compression post is a tall order.
I suppose you can try it while the lift is available, but I think the your best bet is to step the mast. Not sure what you mean by partially stepping the mast.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Interesting conversation. It is hard to offer any real advise without a clear picture of the top of the mast.
First thing I would do is get some pictures. Find friend with a drone or borrow a bosun chair, might even need a selfie stick with that bosun chair.

Then make a plan. The plan depends on if the is an if there is an old wind transducer base up there. If there is an old base up there I would pray that the old wiring is under it and remove the base. Removing the base could be tricky. If it was me up there that base would be covered with a pound of well cured sealant and adhesive. Again, you might be able to see that before making a trip up there. If it can be easily removed proceed. If not, I am dropping the mast.

Once the old base is removed connect the wires together and have your help pull while you feed. Easy peezy.

Now if I have to modify the top of the mast in any way shape or form, the mast is coming down.

If you look at Tally Ho's post with the stripped screw, I am bring the mast down for that too.

Now part of "my" issue is "Murphy" and I have been friends my whole life and I do expect anything that can go wrong will.

Good luck

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For the education of the forum, do you think you could have done the task from a bosoms chair?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I was able to install my Garmin Gwind with the rig standing but that was only because I already had run a messenger line previously. On my boat, there is no way to get inside the mast with the masthead casting in place and given that it is what attaches all of the standing rigging to the mast it cannot be removed without dropping the rig.

May 17, 2023
Hunter 28 High Cliff State Park
For the education of the forum, do you think you could have done the task from a bosoms chair?
No - I wouldn't have been able to access the wiring connectors that are seated at the foot of the mast. Stepping it was the only way.