Installing A Solbian Solar Panel

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
First let me apologize for the poor image quality. All I had with me that day was my point & shoot.....

Solbian Layout

Solbian solar panels are a unique product that fill a great niche for the marine market. They are thin, light and efficient. They are also semi flexible making them quite versatile in mounting options.

In this photo a Solbian CP-125 panel is being laid out on a customers used bimini. My canvas maker Richard Hallett of Hallett Canvas & Sails decided on Velcro for the fastening of the panel to the bimini. Because the entire panel weighs just 5 pounds direct mounting to most soft bimini tops makes this a very neat and tidy fitment.

Very, Very Thin!
As you can see by the photo the Solbian panel is very thin. Unlike previous armorphous "flexible" panels the Solbian's are a monocrystalline panel. This makes them about half the size of a comparable armorphous panel and very efficient for the real estate they take up.

The benefits of a Solbain panel can be unique and necessary for some installations. Are these panels more expensive than traditional panels? Yes certainly, $820.00 vs. approx $350.00 (for CP-125), but you can often save more money using a Solbian than by using a traditional rigid panel.

Things to consider:

#1 Light weight means it can be affixed to most any Sunbrella type bimini or dodger (consider shading on dodgers).

#2 This weight savings usually means the original bimini frame is more than strong enough for the added weight of the Solbian solar panel. The last rigid solar panel I installed, in the 125W range, weighed 28 pounds. This was just the weight of the panel alone and did not include the extra stainless tube, fittings & aluminum framing needed for attaching it to the bimini. When all was said and done this single 125W panel added over 40 pounds to the top of the bimini. The Solbian CP-125 added perhaps 6 pounds total. That is a huge weight savings.

#3 When fitting a traditional rigid panel to a bimini, a frame needs to be custom built at the expense of the fittings, stainless tubing and the aluminum support frame for the rigid panel. This can run into the hundreds of dollars in just supplies not including custom tube bending/crowning etc. etc..

#4 When fitting a rigid panel to a bimini the bimini often needs to be converted to a full strapless type bimini. The fittings and stainless tube for this add even more money to the install.

Prime Example Of Solbian Benefit
Sorry for the grainy photo. In this photo you can see two 130W Kyocera rigid panels installed onto a custom built frame. The previous owner of this vessel had this fully custom stainless steel frame built to fit over the existing bimini in order to support the weight of this 260W array. The cost of this installation easily far exceeded what the cost would have been to install two Solbian CP-125 panels. For the 10W difference the savings on this install would have been quite large even with the Solbian panels costing twice as much as a standard rigid panel.

The Solbian's can also easily be removed and stowed where the rigid panels become bulky, tedious and can damage your vessels interior..

Velcro Attachment
Richard, of Hallett Canvas & Sails, decided that dual Velcro, both top and bottom, with a lapel was the best method to attach the panel to the bimini. Suffice it to say it is a very robust attachment.

The owner of this boat, an avid offshore voyager, has been caught in off shore storms before and wanted a solar option that allowed the easy removal of the panel. He also did not want a panel with a bulky aluminum frame with SHARP edges to try and stow below in rough seas or for storm prep.

This Solbian CP-125 panel will easily stow below a berth cushion, as you'll see later, and is not even be noticeable. He also did not want to re-invent his bimini frame which was simply not strong enough to support the weight of a rigid panel.

Velcro Lapel
This picture shows the panel bottom Velcro and the top Velcro. The lapel is simply folded over the panel to button it up.

Also take note of the slim profile of the panels junction box compared to my fingers. When stowed beneath a berth cushion you are barely able to discern a bump in the foam. This is a very nice feature for a 125W panel. There are also no sharp edges to scratch a beautifully varnished interior!!

Ready To Go
Here you can see the Velcro lapel affixed to the panel and the junction box connected to the feed wire via MC4 solar connectors.

While I am not usually a big fan of MC4 connectors, at least in the marine environment, they do make sense for this type of installation. Coating them with a terminal grease helps prevent corrosion..

Yes, Sunbrella Can Fade
This owner is going to eventually replace the canvas but this gives an idea of just how much it can fade in 7-8 years or so.

Rather than reinvent the bimini around the new panel the owner opted to just re-stitch for now and add the panel. The cost was minimal for the canvas work.

The primary role of this panel is to keep his Lifeline AGM batteries charged on the mooring. This boat is not sailed off a dock. Because his boat is mooring sailed getting his expensive AGM's back to 100%, as often as possible, was the main goal.

The owner also has a high output alternator and external regulator so the panel is only really taking his bank from 80-85% state of charge back to 100%. This was accounted for in the sizing. His bank can go from 85% SOC to full in about 2-3 days with this panel.

Coupled With a Genasun GV-10 MPPT Controller
For a charge controller I matched the Solbian CP-125 with a simple but very effective Genasun GV-10 MPPT controller.

For more on charge controllers etc. please see this article: Installing A Small Marine Solar System (LINK)

Installed
Here's a photo of the panel installed onto the bimini. The bimini will also get a Velcro lapel to cover the panel feed wire. We wanted to get the panel installed and the wire run before laying out the wires lapel.

On top of the lapel we will be adding a "Strapless bimini Kit" making the bimini nice and taught. In this pic the straps are not even installed. It was purposely take this way to show just how light this panel really is. There is no tension on the forward bow at all other than gravity....

While no sailboat has the perfect spot for a solar panel, to 100% eliminate shading, on this boat the bimini top was still the best bet.

125W of Invisible Solar
Once again the bimini has not yet been tensioned. I purposely did not tension it to illustrate just how light weight these panels really are.

Another benefit for this installation is the minimal disruption to the vessels aesthetics. The owner of this beautiful custom built Able 42 preferred not to add any more visible "junk on the trunk" so to speak. The Solbian CP-125 sewn to the bimini is all but invisible power that does not further degrade the vessels lines or aesthetics at anchor...

Storage !
Unless you've gone to great lengths to mount & strongly secure your rigid aluminum frame solar panels they will likely need to come off and get stowed below in rough weather while at sea.

One huge benefit of the Solbian panel, over a rigid panel, is that it stows neatly underneath a berth mattress. It stows so flat you won't even know it is under there.

With a rigid aluminum frame panel the last thing you want are the sharp edges gouging up your woodwork or a 40 pound panel flying around the cabin in rough seas. This is not an issue with a Solbian panel..

Where's The Panel?
The 125W Solbian panel is under this berth mattress completely hidden, protected by the 4" foam of the mattress, out of sight and protected from gouging up any expensive interior woodwork.. I laid down in the aft cabin and was unable to tell the solar panel was even there. IMHO this is one great unadvertised benefits of the Solbian solar panels.

If you are interested in purchasing a Solbian Solar panel or Genasun MPPT controller please drop me a PM and I will get you the info you need.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
That's a really nice install! I think that's how I'm going to do the panel(s) on the next boat.

Aside from the fact that I don't believe GANZ makes panels larger than 55w, how do the smaller Solbian panels compare to GANZ panels?

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Looks like a great panel, and price is not bad considering an install like that, Ihave exact same bimini, do they furnish the velcro for this install or do u purchase eleswhere, I saw there are several places online to buy, which one do u like..Red

Feb 6, 1998
That's a really nice install! I think that's how I'm going to do the panel(s) on the next boat.

Aside from the fact that I don't believe GANZ makes panels larger than 55w, how do the smaller Solbian panels compare to GANZ panels?

Solbians are slightly more efficient but considerably lighter. Also a little more flexible. They can also be sewn through, around the edges. The Ganz panels can not.

At Annapolis I got to play with both panels right around the corner from each other and the Solbian is really the lighter more advanced product. As an example the Ganz 40W panel weighs slightly more than the 125W Solbian panel does. When mounting to just the fabric of a bimini this weight to watts savings makes a HUGE difference....

Feb 6, 1998
Looks like a great panel, and price is not bad considering an install like that, Ihave exact same bimini, do they furnish the velcro for this install or do u purchase eleswhere, I saw there are several places online to buy, which one do u like..Red
No you just buy the plain panel and have a canvas maker fit it to the bimini. IIRC it ran about $100.00 to have this one sewn up... The edges of these panels can be sewn through with the right sailmakers machine...

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
What about the heat generated by the panel?
Fabric tends to be not a very good heat sink.

Feb 6, 1998
What about the heat generated by the panel?
Fabric tends to be not a very good heat sink.
Actually on a bimini it stays quite cool. I've hit them with my pyrometer and not been at all alarmed or concerend about temps. The fabric has air below it that can help suck the heat away. I've not seen any real drop in performance from a Solbian on a bimini vs. other panels mounted above a bimini. I have actually measured our Kyocera 140W with glass and rigid frame on the same day and time I measured that particular boat and our Kyocera was 4 degrees hotter. I suspect that glass retains some heat... Course this was not on a hot day but I would have throught the Solbian would have been hotter...

Apr 19, 2011
Hunter 31 Seattle
Im really glad you posted this MaineSail. The timing is perfect! My Iversons dodger is almost complete and I was planning on putting a Solbian panel on it.

Feb 6, 1998
Im really glad you posted this MaineSail. The timing is perfect! My Iversons dodger is almost complete and I was planning on putting a Solbian panel on it.
Jared,

These are awfully expensive panels to waste being shaded under a boom. Dodger mounted solar panels perform like, well, horse crap due to shading....... If you already have other panels producing, and then want to add some to the dodger top, it can be an okay addition. If however these are your only panels I would strongly advise avoid the dodger top..

Last summer I moved a panel from a dodger top (mooring sailed boat) to the bimini. He went from taking two+ weeks to charge to full, if he ever did, and cut it down to 3 days. Same panel, controller and wiring just a far better location to avoid shading. The big "S" word is the enemy of solar so do your best to avoid it.......

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
Nice install Maine Sail, I love seeing your work. I would think twice about sewing through the edges of the panel as that removes your ability to store the panel safely below individually and requires removel of the entire bimini.
Just my thoughts.
Ray

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
I really like the hinged velcro install....Red

Feb 6, 1998
Nice install Maine Sail, I love seeing your work. I would think twice about sewing through the edges of the panel as that removes your ability to store the panel safely below individually and requires removel of the entire bimini.
Just my thoughts.
Ray
No one is advising sewing the panel directly to anything. I would strongly advise against doing so..

One benefit of the Velcro is that over time the Sunbrella will stretch and the panel won't. A zipper has no give but a 1" lapel of Velcro can be adjusted to allow for slight variances in stretch and a tight well fitting bimini.... I would also advise letting your canvas break in first, and take a set, before adding the solar panel...

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
That's really cool. Are the individual cells flexible? Awesome work, as usual.......disregard.....found it on youtube. Greater flexibility than I would have imagined. I think they claim 25%. Pretty amazing.....the cells I've tinkered with would crack like a potato chip if you bent them that much.

Last edited:

John R

Oct 9, 2012
Catalina 36 Emeryville
Here in the SF Bay area, few people have biminis. That includes me. For those of us without a bimini, where do you recommend installing such a panel? I see you recommend against installing on the dodger due to the shading. (I've got a 36 foot boat.)

Jun 5, 2012
Custom Mimi Rose Brooklin
How do you feel about their recommendation to use a separate charge controller for each solar panel?

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Hope this isn't too late to ask, but how is the Velcro attached to the panel? I don't want to stitch them on and I feel those glued backed Velcro strips would simply melt being heated by the sun. Is there another way to attach the Velcro to the panels?
Thanks -Jon

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="PGIJon,..., but how is the Velcro attached to the panel? ...[/QUOTE]

Pop rivets?

Oct 13, 2013
Beneteau 37 Oceanis Platinum Edition Seabrook, TX
How does it hold up when the Bimini is being buffeted by high winds. Also is it polycrystaline or monocrystaline panels. Mono is more efficient. Is it Chinese mfg or other. Didn't read all before. I have 3 160 watt Bosch panels. Mono. Work great.

Feb 6, 1998
Hope this isn't too late to ask, but how is the Velcro attached to the panel? I don't want to stitch them on and I feel those glued backed Velcro strips would simply melt being heated by the sun. Is there another way to attach the Velcro to the panels?
Thanks -Jon
The vessel featured in those images sails from Maine to the BVI's each fall, spends the winter in the Carib, and sails back to Maine. The Velcro has been bomb proof even with two trips experiencing fall gales with winds in the 35 - 55 knot range. This means multiple 1600nm offshore one-way passages totaling over 9000 off shore miles since installed..