Installing a Raymarine S1 AutoPilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Anyone ever done the install themselves? Any tips or tricks I need to know about?

Sep 29, 2008
Paul, Very interesting article. I did order the wheel pilot, as I got a really good deal. Larry's experience installing his with the actuator was very interesting.

BTW, I changed my oil near the end of last season and will change it again when I de-winterize my boat. Since I used 2 gallons of rum to winterize the water system, you are welcome to come out and help - you bring the coke. ;-) Ray

Sep 29, 2008
Where is your Autopilot stuff located?

All, I was down on the boat today scoping out the install (and helping a fellow boater remove a Cutless bearing that had been in for about 20 years). Now I have a few questions.

1. Where is your fluxgate compass installed and can you share a picture?
2. Where is your computer installed and can you share a picture?

Everything else looks pretty straight forward, and questions 1 and 2 are really just to save myself some thinking. I will have to do some machinations to get the rudder sensor placed right, but that looks like a snap and there are a couple of holes it looks like I can use.

I will post pictures when I am done. Ray

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I will have to do some machinations to get the rudder sensor placed right, but that looks like a snap and there are a couple of holes it looks like I can use.

I will post pictures when I am done. Ray
The RPS is easy on the 310. Catalina 310 RPS (LINK)

Also the location of the compass should be as low in the boat as possible and as close to the center-line as possible.

Use a boy scout compass to check for magnetic interference before installing. I installed mine under the galley sink as close to the center-line as possible and as low as I could get without keel interference..

Sep 29, 2008
MainSail, Paul J Thanks

Main Sail, They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and your document just nailed it. Saw the 2nd picture and I was golden. The RPS is going to be so simple it isn't funny. I like your idea of putting the sensor under the sink. Will have to check for interference with the compass, but that sounds like a great place.

Paul, Is where your compass in the area off of the aft queen berth on the port side?

Finally, where does everyone have their computer installed? One place I was thinking of was near the Nav Station.

I may get around to the install this weekend, as my chartplotter is supposed to arrive Tuesday and I wanted to snake all of the lines at the same time. I am probably going to wire in my radio with the DSC into the GPS also. I got an MMSI number from BoatUS about 4 months ago, and this is a good time to do it.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
"Paul, Is where your compass in the area off of the aft queen berth on the port side?"

Yes....
I do not know if the autopilot system was installed by a proffessional but the compass seems it could have been located better.
I think the computer that Raymaine started using with thier new systems is picking up the slack of the Analog to Digital converter.

paulj :troll:

Sep 29, 2008
Appreciate all the tips and trick.

" I think the computer that Raymaine started using with thier new systems is picking up the slack of the Analog to Digital converter. paulj :troll:
Paul, If you are referring to the X-5, the new model, I believe they figured out some way to eliminate the RPS through software. I could be wrong.

Not that you all have unmasked me, I will admit that I am just cheap and the S1 model was a great deal. But now having seen the RPS install, it is really not a big deal - especially since the holes on the rudder stock are pre-tapped, it is a no brainer. I will be checking out the fluxgate location, but yours location may also be a winner. Ray

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Hello Ray

I belong to the S1 club now....

Thank you for your order. Your order number is 108044, placed 3/11/2009 at 10:51AM.

paulj :troll:

Sep 29, 2008
Congratulations

They are a pretty sweet deal right now. I am guessing your 4000 gave up the ghost?

From what I read in the docs for the S1 and seeing how easy it is to mount I think at this point I prefer the RPS. Sometimes it is better to have a true estimate than having the computer try and guess. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

I also received my Humminbird 785c2 chart plotter, so I am going to install the gps/chartplotter and the auto-pilot at the same time, as well as finally (since I am in there pulling wires) hooking my VHF up to the GPS so I can transmit position via the Digital Selective Calling (DSC).

Status
Not open for further replies.