Installing a new head

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charlie newman

I have recently purchased a 75 O'Day 25 and at present have it in the yard for some TLC. My question is, I want install a new marine head, not one there before, did O'Day build in the holding tank as a standard item or will I have to install a new one. Also, where would be the best place to locate it. All information would appreciated. Email: sailorc@bellsouth.net

D

Don Evans

Holding Tank

A previous owner installed a 20 gall plastic tank under the V berth, snug up to the front (wide) end and vented to outside. It is rectangular and rests on a plywood platform. There is a square piece of mahogony plywood facing the salon to cover the tank, and a removable wooden window piece has been installed to keep an eye on tank levels. I don't use the tank, as a port-a-potty serves my needs, but the tank and the marine head (stored away for now) are available if I need to. Not many other placements are available on our respective boats, especially so close to the head. Don

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Check Peggie's articles first

Charlie - Make sure you read through Peggie's post in the Head Mistress forum before you start your project. She has tons of information there that could save you a great deal of heartache. As for placement, I defer to Don's advice. Jsutin - O'day Owners' Web

P

Paul Mieszczenski

V-berth Holding Tank

Charlie, The Todd 9 gal. holding tank slides right under the v-berth through the exsisting hole for the bin without any cutting. I glassed in a 1/2" plywood support that raises the tank right up to the bottom of the berth. A Jabsco manual fits in the Porta-Pottie space with the discharge line going into the hanging locker then forward through the bin and bulkhead to the tank. The pump out line runs the reverse course and up to the deck fitting at the forward end of the hanging locker. A 2" hole saw makes a nice clean installation for the 1-1/2" hose. We get about 145 pumps which is good for at least two days anchored out.

Status
Not open for further replies.