Installing a marine head with holding tank and pump out

Mar 2, 2018
Tanzer 22 Beaconsfield, QC
Hello, I am in the market for either a 2000+ hunter 25 or a Catalina 250. I thought all H25 had a marine head with pump out but I found one 2007 H25 for sale with a porta potti and consider making an offer if I can install a regular marine head with holding tank and pump out.
Wondering if this is an easy modification to do and if anyone has ever done this on a 2000+ Hunter 25. Any advise is appreciated.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
A marine toilet and holding tank will require adding at least one below-waterline thru-hull for the flush water inlet line, several feet of hose from the toilet to the tank and at least a 15-18 gal tank to have one that will last two people longer than 24 hours. All that will eat up at least 1/3 of your storage space, cost you several hundred $$ and require a lot of maintenance. There's a better way:
Replace the portable portapotty with an "MSD" portapotty. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose, vent line and a deck pumpout fitting is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

Check out the Thetford 550P MSD and the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD Sanipottie

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Hey @Peggie Hall HeadMistress, you must have this response ready for cut and paste. Although it’s not really a matter of love, we really like our MSD. :plus: On the Dometic!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018
Tanzer 22 Beaconsfield, QC
Thanks, that seems reasonable and I believe very workable solution. In my are of sailing, portable toilets on boats are illegal in most lakes unless permanently attached to the boat and with a holding tank and pump-out facility for the marina.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
What Peggy said.

Our MSD has provided excellent service and no odor (once we have added Odorlos on arriving at the boat) for 7,000 nm of cruising the Great Lakes over 18 years.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I just realized, Jeangeorg, that you're brand new in these waters...Welcome aboard! I hope we answered your questions this time and hope you'll come back real soon with new ones...or just to visit.