Installing a Jib Roller Furler

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
My first question is, what brand, size, etc. roller furler would someone recommend I buy for my 1987 Catalina 22? Also, how hard is the installation process? Do I have to convert my hank on sail to be compatible with the system? If so who would I send it to too have it done and the cost?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Welcome to SBO, Dug! You're in the Capri 22 forum, you might get more responses in Catalina 22.

We're hank-on people ourselves, so I can't be of much help. I do know you will have to have your jib modified, if not replaced. Any sail loft can do it. You might google up a couple semi-local ones and get prices straight from the horse's mouth.

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
Thanks for the info. I thought I was posting in the Cat 22 forum but. I must have hit Capri. Do you use a headsail bag by chance? I thought about buying one instead of a roller furler for now. I just don't like taking my sails down and putting them back on every time I go out which is every weekend for about 6 months. I leave the boat on the trailer at our local sail club.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I'm a hank on man as well but I have owned boats with roller furlers. The hand on sail sails better. You will have to modify the sail to get it to work. If the sail is older it's probably best to just get a new one. Installing a furler is a fairly involved job. You gotta disconnect the headstay (temporarily supporting the mast) then run the foils up the head stay which you have cut to the exact length and then install the drum and run the furling line to the cockpit, etc.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not difficult just be and engineer and follow the steps in the directions. All of them. No skipping around. Easier if the mast is down and on a stand in the yard.
Choices are several. Cost is often an issue. I prefer Harken. But there are others of good quality.
Hanks will not work. The luff needs to be changed so that it slides into the furler luff slot. Go look at a furler in your marina. The answer will be obvious.
Sail can be altered but you may want to consider a new sail. Cost is dependent on the loft. Ask locally of other sailors.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The most cost effective for a 22' would be a Schaefer Snap Furl CF-500 (which takes a #5 luff tape) or a CDI FF2 (which takes a #6 luff tape). I highly recommend getting a UV cover built into the sail. A good hoistable cover has laces to prevent the cover from flogging to death, and will cost more than a built in UV cover.

The Schaefer Snapfurl uses the boat's genoa halyard. The CDI has a built in halyard. The snap furl is, IMO, the functional equivalent of a Harken Cruising Furler. The CDI is very KISS.

Both of these furlers have plastic extrusions, so they are very trailer-friendly. You won't damage one of them during mast raising.

The one caution is the you MUST store them carefully when the mast is down with the furler attached. Any big sags that are left for weeks may cause a permanent deflection in the extrusion. For off season storage, the best thing to do is take the furler off the boat and store it separately on the floor or in a tube, or hung from a rafter.

Feb 16, 2017
Go with Harken all they way! The Snap Furl CF500 is the correct furler. The CF 700 fits the Capri 22.
The problem is the CF500-700 will fail in cold temps. The directions state do not install under cold weather!
The same goes with using them and furling in colder weather. And 60 degrees is not cold. I have had to warranty a CF700 because it was furled in 55-degree weather and it failed.

upload_2019-1-30_14-3-28.png

enuff said!!!!!

I quote only Harken ESP fro Catalina 22

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I've been happy with the Schaefer CF-500, but I can't offer any comparative experience (or debate @odj22sailor's). Regarding the other part of your question - about sail modifications: I talked at length to @DrJudyB, and it was clear that modifying our existing headsails wouldn't be cost effective. We were going to spend 80% or more of the cost of a new sail. She said it makes more sense for larger boats, where a new sails would be much more expensive. After 2 seasons, we're still totally happy with our new Hyde genoa. But your situation might be different, especially if you have a nearly-new sail you want to modify.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Do you use a headsail bag by chance?
I don't, but I definitely plan to. The only reason I don't (yet) is I've been too cheap to pony up for one. There always seems to be something above it on the list of priorities. :(

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I bought a used head sail bag a couple of years ago and love it whenever I use it. The only problem I have with it is that it only holds my 110 jib, if I have the 135 Ullman Genoa on it, there's not enough room to stuff it in the bag. Between it and the Sailrite main sail cover, I can keep everything properly stowed and protected while out on the water.