Installing a depth gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brad Estby

I want to install a dept gauge on my Cat 22, and would like suggestions on mounting the transducer. Where is the best place to mount it? How do I avoid potential leaking? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Brad

R

R. Palaia

You don't need to make any holes

Brad, I used to have a Standard DS50 on a boat similar to yours. I found out that Standard has 3 types of transducers. One that is an external transom mount, another that requires a hole in the hull, and the third that is specially designed to shoot the pulse 'through' the hull (looks like a small hockey puck). That's the one I got. It should be installed as far forward, infront of the keel. Find a spot that you can get inside the hull to mount it directly to the fiberglass. You may need to cut an inspection hole inside a locker or something (I drilled a 6" access hole to get my arm in). You then epoxy it to the hull with a glob of marine tex (make sure there are no air bubbles). I've heard some people use silicone, but silicone will 'dampen' the electronic pulse. Marine tex creates a solid structure with the fiberglass so the pulse isn't interfered.' Hope this helps. Roc

K

ken

depth gauge

Brad....... Your previous reply from Roc is pretty much right on. I have a Humminbird 100 and I installed the transducer in the porti-potti area. Used 2 part epoxy ($3 at Home Depot) and it works great! No need to drill holes in the hull. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.