Installed Bimini 272

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Recently I got a quote for a custom bimini which would have cost me 1100. I thought to myself why does it have to be custom? When sailing it would just be to low and definitely would hit my head. So I decided to buy one for 99.00 and install myself. By the way took 15 minutes. Came out nice and easy to wind up and nestle against backstay with the boot. Highly recommended at anchor and the dock.

Attachments

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
There was one issue when installing where I wanted the bimini, it came close to my jib sheet cleats. I have been wanting to install rope clutches for my jib sheets because when shopping for a brand new boat I noticed that most of them have this and it is a great option. So i ordered 2 of them and cant wait to install them in front of the winches. Has anyone done this? Such a great option and makes life so much easier. Example: Greenhorns sailing with me do not know how to tie of the sheet on the cleat. They sure can open and close the clutch. LOL!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
You could add "winchers" by Barton Marine to make your winches jam the sheet. I have self tailing winches, and they hold my sheets fine. I never need to cleat my sheets.

Thanks

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
I love the clutches, but its worth looking into the winchers. Unfortunately I ordered them already.

Jun 14, 2015
Oday 30 1110 Lake Grapevine
Looks Great

Recently I got a quote for a custom bimini which would have cost me 1100. I thought to myself why does it have to be custom? When sailing it would just be to low and definitely would hit my head. So I decided to buy one for 99.00 and install myself. By the way took 15 minutes. Came out nice and easy to wind up and nestle against backstay with the boot. Highly recommended at anchor and the dock.

Where did you find it and does it attach to rail or what?

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
I bought off of ebay. Did my measurements then found the one I wanted. Thousands of them on ebay. Attaches to the deck via screws. Very easy to do. Literally took 20 minutes to complete project. Also has boot to close it when I go out sailing which ties off to backstay. I could chop off some of the aluminum to leave on when sailing so it fits under the boom but really want some sun. Mostly used at anchor and dock. Best thing I ever bought. Also, protection from the rain.

May 21, 2014
Oday 272 Charleston, SC
Bimini

Do you still have the dimensions you used?

May 21, 2014
Oday 272 Charleston, SC
78 width. 6 foot length
Thank you my friend. Your post just saved me a large amount of $.. It is extremely hot here in Charleston, SC, June, July, August and Sept. and I have to leave the boat at dock around 1100 am. This will cool her off and make it more enjoyable to work on her and just have a cup of coffee. Again thank you