Install wash down pump?

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
As I complete this years winter cruise to the Keys and back to Hilton Head I’m anchoring in various places in the AICWW with some pretty nasty bottoms. Those that have anchored in the Halifax for example by Bethune Point Part will know what I’m talking about. The mud is black, sticky, foul smelling, and gets everywhere.

I’m thinking about how I might install a wash down pump, perhaps tapping into the windlass power.
Has anyone done this? Thoughts?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thoughts.
Beyond the power concerns, you have
  • the water sourcing
  • internal plumbing
  • running hoses across the deck
  • type of hose
Using one of the plastic curly hoses, short length 15ft. I will be installing a thru deck quick connect I found from Aquor Water Systems.
I'll be plumbing a hose from the thru hull in my head to the pump and then to the deck wash quick connect.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I guess you could tie into the windless. I ran a separate line with a new breaker.
FYI, the coil hoses sold for wash downs last maybe a year and the spring leakssss. I now use a short regular hose.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My wash down pump is tied to the windlass. Be sure to add a fuse at the windlass connection instead of or in addition to one at the pump switch.

It is not necessary to use a through hull. We have piece of ½" reinforced vinyl hose with a weight at the end. It goes over board to suck up water. The pump is located in the anchor locker, not the best location, but it works. One weakness in this system is water pressure. I think the pressure would be better if the pump did not have to bring the water up to the deck before pushing it out the hose.

As for sticky mud, you ain't seen nothing until you get into the Chesapeake. :(

Dec 15, 2019
Hunter 49 San Diego
We ran a T into our freshwater system to a hose bib in the anchor locker with an on/off lever. It's simple, and you don’t need any new wiring. It works great for washing the boat as well. Of course the downside is you need to be careful that you don't deplete your store of fresh water. Not so much of a problem if you have large tanks, a water maker, or if you spend most of your time in the slip. If you use a brush, you can usually get your anchor clean with minimal use of water. You can also dip the brush in salt water while cleaning the anchor and save your fresh water for cleaning up the chain locker area. So far we're happy with our set up.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
My wash down pump is tied to the windlass. Be sure to add a fuse at the windlass connection instead of or in addition to one at the pump switch.

It is not necessary to use a through hull. We have piece of ½" reinforced vinyl hose with a weight at the end. It goes over board to suck up water. The pump is located in the anchor locker, not the best location, but it works. One weakness in this system is water pressure. I think the pressure would be better if the pump did not have to bring the water up to the deck before pushing it out the hose.

As for sticky mud, you ain't seen nothing until you get into the Chesapeake. :(
Pressure of the water jet is one of my concerns as it would need to bring the water up 5+ feet, probably more like 8’ from thee surface to the height of my hands above the deck

many pics to show your installation?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have been wondering. Do you really need to have the wash down equipment in the anchor locker. As @flightlead404 is identifying, on the bow is a 5+ft freeboard. The head on the pump will reduce the power of the water pressure. Locating the pump and intake back from the bow may put the pump closer to the water line and reduce the head thereby increasing the pressure at the end of the hose. A 20ft hose would cover most of a 40ft boat

• Helpful
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Do you really need to have the wash down equipment in the anchor locker
Only the hose is in my Anchor locker.
The Pump, strainer etc is below water line.

The coiled hose fits nicely strapped to my Anchor locker Lid.

Jim...

PS: The pressure [60 psi or 120 feet of vertical spay] on my link above is same as my house hoses.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The ideal spot is inside the boat near the bow with an intake below the water line. This provides head pressure to the pump which can increase the pressure coming out.

• Helpful
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
A Few pictures of my installation, now.
SeaWaterPump.png

and the discharge area
Anchor Wash Hose.jpg

Hope this helps.
Jim...

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
My washdown pump is under the forward berth and is T'd into the head intake thru-hull. I have a quick release (1/4 turn) hose fitting in the anchor locker and another in the cockpit which makes it handy for washing things down at the back of the boat as well. I use an expandable hose which packs down smaller than a standard hose.