Install CC 38 solid rod, keel step onto my Oceanis 400 advice/help

Nov 20, 2021
Beneteau OC 400 Jews bay
Greetings seafarers, I acquired this mast gratie. Have mast build diagram and need cut off for deck step. 3 speader "racing" rig made by Offshore Spars. Was going to put zspar original classic mast and raise roller unit above deck the way I like it. Figure if I get the fore/aft stays/height correct I could use dyneema port & starboard and replace spreaders 2&3 and new wire.

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I could use dyneema port & starboard
Breaking your message down so I can understand. Please correct me if I error.
  1. You have a free mast spar that you want to refit and use on your Beneteau OC 400
  2. the mast build diagram is for the mast this free mast
  3. You will need to modify the mast to rig it for your boat
  4. you feel if you get the lengths of the fore and aft stays on this masthead rig correct using wire, that you can rig the side stays using dyneema
  5. the mast is too long and was designed for a keel stepped boat. you plan to cut the mast down chopping off a bit from the base.
  6. the mast was designed with 3 spreaders and you will alter it to be 2 spreaders.
Sometimes free stuff is great.

If you are planning to use the halyard exit boxes as is on the mast you may find they are at a height that makes use difficult.

With regard to Dyneema as a shroud/stay line. It is a good tool. Light in weight with strength equal to steel at a smaller diameter makes it a natural for boat rigging on race boats. You have a couple of considerations that will not make the install less expensive.
  1. Length. You need to consider the stretch factor when using dyneema. While dyneema is minimal stretch there is some. You can get dyneema designed and pre-stretched for rigging. This gets you closer to the exact length but at a cost for the product.
  2. You need to use special fittings to attach to the dyneema. While in stretch dyneema is super strong, it does not like to be bent. A 90º bend will reduce the dyneema strength by 50% or more. When tension is placed on the line it will heat up and fracture the threads of the line. They will eventually break. This can happen at any sharp edge bend in the line. Care must be applied when using dyneema in rigging.
  3. You may find that the life span of dyneema is much less than quality stainless wire rope. by a factor of 3-4 . Check with your insurance company regarding their risk acceptance of dyneema for rigging.
If I had a day sailor that I was racing, I would not hesitate to rig the boat with dyneema shrouds/stays. On a ocean going cruiser or even a coastal cruiser, the expense and careful regular inspection of the lines would lead me to forego dyneema as a tool for rigging.

Each boat owner makes decisions and compromises based on their own calculations.
Good luck with your project.

Nov 20, 2021
Beneteau OC 400 Jews bay
Actually I want to keep the 3 spreaders but expect to lengthen bottom 2 sets for 13' beam of Oc 400. Intend to get take measurements of old boat deck. Dyneema only temp, would purchase new stays.

Nov 16, 2020
Beneteau First41S5 Den Osse, The Netherlands
We own a Beneteau 41S5 1991 with stainless steel solid rod stays except the aftstay and forestay (9 x 19).
Stainless steel solid rod lasts quite longer than deenema or such stuff, because deenama-lifetime is severely influenced by ultra-violet light.
Agree, in case of short use, but disagree with longtime use.
Our stays are still in good condition according to the surveyor. Lifetime is always dependable of usagetype and -conditions.
Insurance companies use supersafe liftime on their behalf. When surveying, tell initial installing, usage and conditions; you will be surprised on the advise.