Install a built-in fuel priming pump

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Hey guys. Ever since that ONE TIME I ran out of diesel (2GM20F) and learned the hard way how to get the fuel system primed I went out and bought this priming pump off of Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZKDGGG/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

I'm now at the point (just replaced the Racor filter, main engine filter) where I want to physically install it.

Question:

On this pump, I can blow through this pump, but it takes a little bit of pressure. Is this normal? I don't want to install it if it hinders fuel flow. It seems like it acts like a check valve, where I can only blow through it in one direction. Is this good?

I also thought that this pump could also act like a backup fuel pump (maybe).

Has anyone ever installed a pump like this ONLY for assisting in priming the system? I noticed on other videos that some folks use a "bulbed" priming pump that outboards use with an external tank.

I already have it, and I almost installed it, but then I'd thought I should ask this group.

Thanks!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I gather you only want to run the electric fuel pump at certain times. The proper way to do it is to install it in a bypass line. I have seen electric pumps pushing fuel through a mechanical pump but not the inverse. I would inquire with the seller about its installation for your desired purpose.

Jun 9, 2013
Rafiki 37 Novato, California
I have an electric fuel pump after my racor filter but before the Volvo MD17C engine. I've never had a problem with it in 8 years. It's in series and I'd personally be hesitant to put in a bypass line as I'm paranoid about air leaks. Never did check it for ease of fuel flow when not in use.

If you are concerned about how to install the pump contact the seller on Amazon or the pump manufacturer and see if they have any more information.

Like you after having to manually prime the engine after a fuel filter change I determined that it was not something I liked to do and installed the pump. It makes bleeding the engine so much less painful. It is a highly recommended upgrade IMHO.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Back in about 2002 I installed a primer like this on our 2GM20F.
Greg
I saw this in one of your videos. Somehow, somewhere I saw that the USCG frowns on these, but I'm really not sure why. Another forum I saw someone mention that when his boat was surveyed the surveyor mentioned this in his report.

It may be a good idea to replace these every 5 years or so to be extra safe.

But all this aside.

I was thinking that after I replace filters, I could simply turn the pump on, wait for bubbles to disappear on the return line, then momentarily open all the normal priming vents to finish the job.

Also, my engine is sometimes hard to start after sitting a while. I was thinking that I could turn the pump on for 10 secs, then start.

However, I really have no idea if this would actually help anything. :D

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
I saw this in one of your videos. Somehow, somewhere I saw that the USCG frowns on these, but I'm really not sure why. Another forum I saw someone mention that when his boat was surveyed the surveyor mentioned this in his report.

It may be a good idea to replace these every 5 years or so to be extra safe.

But all this aside.

I was thinking that after I replace filters, I could simply turn the pump on, wait for bubbles to disappear on the return line, then momentarily open all the normal priming vents to finish the job.

Also, my engine is sometimes hard to start after sitting a while. I was thinking that I could turn the pump on for 10 secs, then start.

However, I really have no idea if this would actually help anything. :D
Did not see that about the CG. It would be very easy to put it, like the electric, in a bypass line. The thing I like about it is that I can use it without power. I do carry an extra electric pump (not installed) in case we are remote and I loose the engine driven pump.

I also have a vacuum gauge in line just after the filter so I can see if the filter is starting to cl

My normal procedure for the day is to open the compartment, visually check everything, then check the oil, and then give the bulb a couple of good squeezes until I hear gurgles in the fuel tank from the return line. When I installed a new fuel tank I added a hose to the return line that goes to the bottom of the fuel tank so I do not get foaming of the diesel fuel. :)

Greg

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
The PO installed the Mr. Gasket one and it went south quickly. I ended up removing it and now have hand pump like Delezynski.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
I have an electric fuel pump after my racor filter but before the Volvo MD17C engine. I've never had a problem with it in 8 years. It's in series and I'd personally be hesitant to put in a bypass line as I'm paranoid about air leaks. Never did check it for ease of fuel flow when not in use.
I think I'm just going to install it in series between the fuel tank and primary filter. I'd like to install it after but I have no room to place it there.

I was going to install a momentary switch (with a long wire so I can reach the engine) but instead I think I'll install a real ON/OFF switch at the engine console (they are close to each other).

Thanks!

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
I also have a vacuum gauge in line just after the filter so I can see if the filter is starting to clog
I bet if it was installed between the racor and mechanical fuel pump that it would start to collapse if the racor started to clog... No need for a gauge [grin].

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It's in series and I'd personally be hesitant to put in a bypass line as I'm paranoid about air leaks. IMHO.
I share your Paranoia but adding and electric pump inline is comparatively as risky as installing a bypass line. Use quality components and do a good install and you should be fine. More to check either way when problems arise. Sorry but not much faith on a $17 pump.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Is there *any* priming bulb suitable for a diesel engine installation (i.e., mounted in the engine compartment) that would pass survey? My surveyor flagged the one on my boat when I bought it and I removed it. I wouldn't want the risk, nor would I want to fight with my insurance company over a claim because of it. Perhaps there is one out there that meets ABYC specs--whatever those might be? Anyway, I would want to be sure about it before installing one.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
QUEST for THE priming pump

Alan, and others,

I've read threads like this for years. Perhaps you can help me understand why so many folks with Yanmar (and some other) engines complain about bleeding when all it would take is to install a diesel-rated fuel lift pump in their fuel supply line. These could be set to always run when the ignition switch is on (like mine does on our Universal), or with a switch to cut it off anytime one wanted to. If a diesel lift pump dies (and they certainly have) AND if your fuel tank is ABOVE your engine, in most cases the engine will continue to operate (until the fuel level drops to a certain point in the tank. If the tank is below the engine, unless the engine has a remarkably strong built in mechanical fuel pump, a LIFT PUMP would be required anyway.

Universals don't seem to have this "issue."

Why is there a repeated (like the start of every single boating season and many times during the season) "quest" :) for a manual fuel priming bulb?

Thanks,

Stu

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Is there *any* priming bulb suitable for a diesel engine installation (i.e., mounted in the engine compartment) that would pass survey? My surveyor flagged the one on my boat when I bought it and I removed it. I wouldn't want the risk, nor would I want to fight with my insurance company over a claim because of it. Perhaps there is one out there that meets ABYC specs--whatever those might be? Anyway, I would want to be sure about it before installing one.
I would think not because the bulbs are quite thin sided. The fuel line I bought is 1/4" center with a double lined case. No doubt it will last 30 years. On the other hand, never heard of a catastrophic failure of a bulb. Just leaks.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Alan, and others,

I've read threads like this for years. Perhaps you can help me understand why so many folks with Yanmar (and some other) engines complain about bleeding when all it would take is to install a diesel-rated fuel lift pump in their fuel supply line. These could be set to always run when the ignition switch is on (like mine does on our Universal), or with a switch to cut it off anytime one wanted to. If a diesel lift pump dies (and they certainly have) AND if your fuel tank is ABOVE your engine, in most cases the engine will continue to operate (until the fuel level drops to a certain point in the tank. If the tank is below the engine, unless the engine has a remarkably strong built in mechanical fuel pump, a LIFT PUMP would be required anyway.

Why is there a repeated (like the start of every single boating season and many times during the season) "quest" :) for a manual fuel priming bulb?

Thanks,

Stu
Stu,

Yanmar's, like many of the older Perkins engines use a diaphragm, pump driven off a cam on the engine. If you want to prime it there is a thumb lever. Not difficult unless the builder left you no room to reach the priming lever..:cussing: Universal's are Kubota's and use electric lift pumps as many Westerbeke's do but not most Yanmar's.......

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Alan, and others,

Thanks,

Stu
Stu,
Well, I can't speak for others but I am able to prime my 1GM just fine without a squeeze bulb. There's a lever on my mechanical lift pump for just that purpose. One does have to make sure the cam is in the correct position before working the lever so that one gets enough "throw" for the pump to work properly. But otherwise, it seems to work fine.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Stu,
Well, I can't speak for others but I am able to prime my 1GM just fine without a squeeze bulb. There's a lever on my mechanical lift pump for just that purpose. One does have to make sure the cam is in the correct position before working the lever so that one gets enough "throw" for the pump to work properly. But otherwise, it seems to work fine.
I do about 15-25 Yanmar or Perkins primes per year and they are no big deal at all. Never understood the need for anything more provided there is access to the thumb lever..

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
My Yanmar doesn't even require a prime after filter replacement. 4JH3E It fires right up, I assume with the fuel in the pump. There is a mechanical fuel pump on the engine, nothing else. Seems like adding an after-market pump into the system would just add a fuel system failure mode. And if it restricts flow then an after-market pump just adds stress to your mechanical OEM pump. Just obey rule one -don't run your engine out of fuel. Racor makes a filter system with a filter priming pump built into the block - that would more than solve any problem with priming a long fuel run. These aren't Detroit Diesels, they only need a few sips of fuel to get going.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
I think I'm just going to install it in series between the fuel tank and primary filter. I'd like to install it after but I have no room to place it there.

I was going to install a momentary switch (with a long wire so I can reach the engine) but instead I think I'll install a real ON/OFF switch at the engine console (they are close to each other).

Thanks!
Update: Well, I did install the inline pump, and at the same time I replaced all of the fuel lines (12+ feet), primary and secondary filters, AND a new fuel pump. The PO said the pump was never replaced, so I figured I might as well after 26 years of faithful service.

Since the whole system was bone dry, having the inline pump helped quite a bit. My primary filter was a Racor model 110, which although old, has been working for 26 years, so I couldn't justify (the cost of) replacing it.

I had to first bleed the primary filter, the secondary filter, and the high pressure pump inlet, all with the priming pump puttering. Since the inline pump is an all metal construction, I didn't think it detracted or weakened the fuel line integrity.

Engine runs fine.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Do you have the electric pump set up to run continuously or just when you need it for priming? Just curious if it does not impede fuel flow when power is cut off.