Inspection camera

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Thinking of getting one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J88PD10?psc=1
I would use it to check for prop zinc condition and barnacles on the prop without getting in the water, and check to see if any crab pot line or debris is wrapped around prop or rudder. Also, nice to be able to look into tiny spaces in the boat. I seem to be using a mirror a lot, but hard to hold a mirror and flashlight and coordinate things well. Anyone using one on the boat?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Ain't half the fun of owning a boat, going IN the water once in a while?

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
The problem I've found with them is when I try to look into one of the boat's stringers and turn a corner or 2. There is no real good way to control the direction of the camera. Sure you can bend it.. I even attached a length of solid copper wire to help hold a pre-bend. Need something that has more control like what the Dr uses to go Intestinal Diving.... -Jon

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I have a similar boroscope but haven't used it on the boat. I have used my GoPro on a stick to check out a dinghy rope that got entangled on my rudder. It worked well but wasn't live. I have used my boroscope to fix my garbage disposal unit when something gitvin there and jammed it. Works well for that.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Ralph Johnstone... said:
Yes, but our water is almost solid as opposed to yours, which is like a bathtub surrounded by palm trees.

Ralph, thanks for that picture. I just got a new laptop and needed something for the wallpaper screen- especially with snow predicted for tonight !

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Fla, warm and clear waters.
Does everyone know that on most of our boats, you can check props and zincs just by floating on the surface and sticking a swim shoe covered foot out to feel it? ( Best way to check zinc is with volt meter connected to the shaft and a zinc over the side as others have detailed on this site)
On the other hand, 45 bucks is cheap enough.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I'm a chicken when it comes to jumping into cold water, although the water temp here is about the same as the summer temps in the frozen North. I think that I will get an inspection camera if I can find one that is especially well waterproofed and reasonable priced. Fun to take a look at fish or whatever else lurks below the waterline.