Insight!

ChuckG

Feb 5, 2014
Columbia 41 Aurora
I am going to be a first time boat owner in the next month or so and I have a few question about the 1974 Columbia 41 most specifically. I see that it seems to be a heavy cruiser, but with the shoal draft and narrower beam, how does it sail in light winds? What kind of speed in average winds can I expect. I plan on moving to the coast somewhere with a new job and make this a live aboard. Are there any common problems with this model that I should be aware of? I have been looking at Morgan OutIslands (Ketch) and Irwin's in about the same length any thought about them. Thanks!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Morgan 41 Out Islands are the "classic" live aboard yachts of the Southeast. Designed as a family cruiser for sailing in the shoal waters of SE Florida, it is "pre-adapated" for living aboard. It's relatively slow, however, in just about any kind of wind that you're likely to be out in as a typical live aboard; unless you're traveling around. Most live aboard boats in all the marinas that I've visited or had a slip in rarely leave their slips to go anywhere more than maybe once or twice a year.

ChuckG

Feb 5, 2014
Columbia 41 Aurora
Thanks Kings Gambit! I kind of thought that boats of this size would be a bit on the slow side. I have a friend that lived on a sailboat for about 5 years or so (a 30') he said get at least a 34' with a rear quarter birth for a live aboard to be more comfortable. I like the idea of the larger boat but also want something I can sail and here in the Mid west the wind never to strong unless its coming from a storm.