Insight Please - Cruising Sail Selection

Nov 2, 2020
Beneteau 361 421 Milwaukee
I know there are a ton of other posts on this topic - I've read them all!

So now am looking for your insight please on sail choice specific to my boat, particularly from folks that have experience with this or similar rig please.
Boat: 2000 Beneteau 361
Rig: Furling headsail and Main (in-mast furling). Has a baby stay . . . sounds like the Genoa will get caught up on the baby stay a lot. I plan to purchase a selden bowsprit, asymetrical sail and furler in two years.
Current sails: NorthSails Cross-cut Dacron (original). Genoa can be repaired as back-up, main is dead.
Crew: Me (capable 50yo), my wife and our 8yo son. They are both capable sailors (my son is in youth sailing : ). But we're not racers . . . there will be some sail flogging : )
Intended use: Great Lakes Cruising - two weeks at a time max. We try not to motor and like to sail fast. Now that my boy is getting older, we may do some club racing.
Experience: 10 yrs on S2 8.0B (measured and ordered sails years back from Rolly Tasker)
Budget: Perhaps $5-6K for Furling Main and Genoa . . . can go more, but really don't want to . . .

My questions please:
-- Laminate or Dacron? Am leaning towards DP Flex Polyester cross-cut for both sails as a step-up from Dacron, lighter, main should furl really nicely . . . and it looks pretty cool. North 3di is awesome . . . but I just can't justify spending that much . . .
-- Partial vertical battens on main? My selden mast has 1/2" vertical opening for the sail. Are vertical battens a good idea (I know how to furl properly) or are they going to be lots of trouble for minimal incremental benefit?
-- Any add'l insight will be greatly valued. I'm hugely grateful for the insight you all have shared on my past questions - thank you.

My biggest concerns: Need to sail well / fast (yes, I realize we've already given up some of that with a roller main), need the roller furlers to work well / be able to reef when needed, am very concerned with catastrophic failure of a sail because it would mean that I have no sail that summer (and life is too short).

Thank you all so much - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Can't help you on the main as I don't have in-mast furling.

I recently replaced my Genoa and decided to go with a tri-radial cut with Contender CDX 7/9 cloth. CDX is a polyester laminate and in the middle of the price range between a woven polyester cloth and a high tech laminate. I chose this because I wanted a sail that would hold its shape longer and I wanted faster designed sail as I was going from a 150 to a 135. It is also a little beefier (meaning heavy) because it was intended to be used for some ocean sailing as well as Great Lakes.

So far I've been pleased with the sail, sets and holds its shape well. And it is fast, faster than I expected in light air.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We have partial vertical battens on our 37, but with a US Spars mast, so I don’t know how a Selden mast would compare. Our battens cause no furling problems at all. Neil Pryde claims they restore about 50% of the sail area lost from furling. If we had to get new sails I’d definitely go with battens again. The only downside is that the batten pockets wear badly and need restitching every 2-3 seasons.

Nov 2, 2020
Beneteau 361 421 Milwaukee
Thanks Davidasailor26. What material are your headsail and main made from?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Thanks Davidasailor26. What material are your headsail and main made from?
Both of ours are Neil Pryde Dacron. They’re the OEM sails from 2014. We’ve had some stitching repairs on the jib sun cover and mainsail batten pockets, but no other real problems yet. The Dacron still furls fine. They’re not their original shape but still acceptable even with some casual racing. Pictures of them after 6 seasons and thoughts from @DrJudyB at Q for Non-racers: How many days per year do you sail? and how old are your sails?. (Pictures are post #10 and drjudyb’s reaction at post #16). I’d rather have new laminate for the added performance but I can’t justify the cost at this point.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
A total budget of $5-6k for two sails doesn't seem like it leaves any choice besides cross cut dacron from a competitve loft. Did you get quotes in this range for laminates? I would have expected them to be more than that price.

Mark