Insight Please - Beneteau 361 Windlass Install

Nov 2, 2020
Beneteau 361 421 Milwaukee
Hello all!

I'm preparing to install a Lewmar V2 windlass on my 2000 Beneteau 361. I have all the correct tools, the correct wire, switches, breaker, lug connectors, etc etc etc.

My question is . . . to all those of you that have done this before on a Beneteau 361 or similar, any words of wisdom? Things you ran into during the install that you didn't expect? Tips on running the wiring or how you accessed everything? Unexpected challenges you wish you had known about before you started?

Thank you all so much!! You guys are awesome.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Here is an installation of a Lewmar V1 on a Hunter 310. Your V2 is a little larger with a bigger motor.

- A lot will depend on your anchor locker as to how it's installed.

-The UP and DOWN buttons are no screaming hell so be sure to add a dab of silicone sealant under the rubber covers to ensure water is excluded from the electrical contacts.

- Check for drop into the locker.

- Double check the voltage drop to your windlass as some of the oddball sizing seen recently on this site is ........... shall we just say "a little different :facepalm: ".

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I'm preparing to install a Lewmar V2 windlass on my 2000 Beneteau 361.
My question is . . . to all those of you that have done this before on a Beneteau 361 or similar, any words of wisdom? Things you ran into during the install that you didn't expect? Tips on running the wiring or how you accessed everything? Unexpected challenges you wish you had known about before you started?
Installed a V2 windlass on my 343 five years ago. I had the advantage of seeing the installation on another 343, so that was a big help in seeing where the factory ran wires etc. I ran the cables from the battery compartment thru galley cabinets and settees in the salon and then up to the hull/deck interface where there was a generous lip concealed by vinyl fabric, finally extended cable run along that lip and then down into forepeak where the windlass motor was housed. There was a recessed area just aft of the anchor locker lid that actually had markings embedded into the gel coat where the center of the windlass was to be mounted. That took a bit of the guess work out of the mounting location; nevertheless, it was nerve wracking to drill that hole! After the hole was drilled thru the deck, I undercut the core and filled it with epoxy filler to prevent moisture ingress into the core. Be sure to rotate the windlass in the hole, to an optimum position, before drilling the mounting bolt holes, so that the windlass doesn't interfere with the anchor locker lid closing unobstructed. I didn't want to use too strong a sealant to seal the base of the windlass, in the event it needs to be removed in the future, so I used silicone. Big mistake, I should have used butyl tape.
I had a great deal of difficulty understanding Lewmar's instructions and wiring diagrams. May be me; however, I spent several hours researching how to wire the thing. I used 1/0 stranded marine cable, 40 feet red & 40 feet black, for the wiring run. Installed a Lewmar hand held controller in the anchor locker to control the windlass. I would strongly recommend looking at the installation on another 361 before starting your installation. In this case, measure about 10 times before you start drilling! This was one of the more challenging boat projects that I have done.

Last edited: