Inside Passage Anyone?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Not to my knowledge but if you decide to make the trip you should do a little write up about it for others. Looks like an interesting and challenging area to sail.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Just curious. Do you mean the inside passage to Alaska or "just" up to the top of Vancouver Island?

May 10, 2022
Catalina 22 Puget Sound
Just curious. Do you mean the inside passage to Alaska or "just" up to the top of Vancouver Island?
If time and weather permits, I'd continue all the way to Alaska. I've never been to Alaska and seeing the northern lights is on my bucket list. I can't think of a better way to see Alaska? I know there are some areas up there that can get nasty. But I've talked to people who have been, and they report plenty of shelter along the way. But they were all in bigger boats... I am aware of a Catalina 27 that made the trip. But again, that boat is significantly more boat than my Catalina 22.... So I was looking to find someone who had done it in something similar. I've been told people have done it in smaller boats, but that's all been third party ...

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Yes, most info will probably be anecdotal... Certainly there are many harbours and hidey holes along the way, but also some lengthy passages, some in open water - not to say that the inner passages can't get nasty for a small boat with wind vs tide. You'd need LOTS of time and good weather info, pick your days.
We rounded Cape Caution twice in 2019 in very benign conditions that would have been no issue even for a rowboat, but we got lucky.

I think I'd modify the boat to accept an oversize outboard for such a trip - I expect you could then push that boat to a pretty good speed when you needed to, esp if she's a swing keel.

Another positive about that trip in a 'slow' boat is that as you progress north the daylight lasts longer!

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
If you have a trailerable I would give consideration to putting in at Skagway and exploring from there because:

The season up there is really short.
He who puts in at Skagway can take out at Skagway. (Or equivalent)
When it’s grey cold and miserable it’s really miserable.
The tidal currents are ferocious and I am guessing your boat has but a dinky outboard and the prop comes out of the water easily.
You would avoid the section of open ocean north of Vancouver island.

If you want to see the northern lights you need to go when there is a decent amount of darkness and that does not coincide with weather for boating.

Hate to be a downer but you just got to be realistic. We have made the canoe trip from Dawson to Circle six times and additionally explored the coast and interior a bunch and restrict ourselves to a narrow window of time.

Now the good news. It’s a wonderland up there. Also some of the lakes are spectacular.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
We can see the northern lights in Upper Michigan -- as long as you're in a place that doesn't have too much light pollution. I've seem them driving home from work at times. And yes, they are amazing.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Having been through the inner passage to Port Hardy numerous times over the years, I would strongly recommend a full set of CHS paper charts. The small scale charts for planning and the large scale charts to check for hidden obstacles.

What is mandatory are the CHS Volumes 5, 6, and 7 for tides and currents. You will be transiting narrows that can hit 8 kt and better at flood. I'd suggest you avoid the flood time, you'll be wanting the slack. Maybe not as exciting but definitely safer. You'll also want to time your transits such that you are not going through the next rapids at midnight because you can't find an anchorage in between the two rapids. You'll see once you have the volumes in hand. They used to be in printed book form for $6.00 but now you have to download them in .PDF form and print. All 138 +/- pages because you'll never have just what you're looking for.

If you save the .PDF on your phone, it drags and drags and drags as you flip back and forth.

Does require some navigational skill but far more than well worth it for the scenery up there.

1652392882124.png

1652393342429.png

1652393496330.png

1652393793643.jpeg

May 10, 2022
Catalina 22 Puget Sound
If you have a trailerable I would give consideration to putting in at Skagway and exploring from there because:

The season up there is really short.
He who puts in at Skagway can take out at Skagway. (Or equivalent)
When it’s grey cold and miserable it’s really miserable.
The tidal currents are ferocious and I am guessing your boat has but a dinky outboard and the prop comes out of the water easily.
You would avoid the section of open ocean north of Vancouver island.

If you want to see the northern lights you need to go when there is a decent amount of darkness and that does not coincide with weather for boating.

Hate to be a downer but you just got to be realistic. We have made the canoe trip from Dawson to Circle six times and additionally explored the coast and interior a bunch and restrict ourselves to a narrow window of time.

Now the good news. It’s a wonderland up there. Also some of the lakes are spectacular.
I don't see any of your comments as a downer, just good advice and fair points....from experience I assuume?
My outboard is a 5 HP, 4 stroke merc, sail power (propane). Its a long shaft, but yes, it has still cleared the sutface on occasion. Not often, but it has. Usually the nastier side of small craft advisories. I'm less concerned about that than I am about swamping the motor....that almost happened once...got my attention so to speak!
I do wonder about your comment about darkness tho? How does that not coincide with weather for boating?
The lack of light pollution usually makes for a spectacular night view. Clouds and over cast don't improve boating weather? Please expand on this?
Being of Scot-Irish decent, grey & cold does not necessarily add up to miserable for me. I live here in the Puget Sound area and am always confused by how the weather takes such an emotional toll on people.
One of my fondest memories is a cold grey morning in February, anchored in an empty little harbor. I woke up, it was VERY COLD, and the boat seemed heavy... it had snowed overnight, the sky was dark grey, you could barely see the sun if you stared straight at it. There was a misty fog that had settled on the water but was no where taller than 2ft. IT WAS MAGICAL! The only source of heat on the boat was the alcohol stove... First things First! I fired up the stove and made an Irish coffee. It started to snow again, and I was mildly entertained by my surprise that my newly rebuilt and thoughtfully designed cockpit scuppers did nothing for snow.... :)

Jan 4, 2006
Another important item is a good quantity of anchor rode. It should be in the neighbourhood of 250' as many anchorages in the passage are deep with steep to shores. No such thing as crowded anchorages though and for the most part, we often found ourselves alone in anchorages. That's when you're entirely on your own and it helps to be self sufficient. Radios are not reliable due to the steep mountains and phones are not reliable due to the lack of towers. It could be a little intimidating if you're not accustomed to being out alone on the water but to us it's always a thrill. One thing you don't have to worry about is wind storms due to the shielding from all of the mountains. Also means you'll rarely get to use your sails in the passage.

We've only been as far north as Haida Gwaii so are not familiar with on the coast of B.C. to Alaska. I would suggest more than one good book on passage making to Alaska.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I do wonder about your comment about darkness tho? How does that not coincide with weather for boating?
The lack of light pollution usually makes for a spectacular night view. Clouds and over cast don't improve boating weather? Please expand on this?
I can't answer most of your questions, having not sailed further north than the San Juans. But I do have a little experience with the Northern Lights on several visits to Fairbanks.

@Captain Grey Beard isn't talking about clouds, but about darkness (or lack thereof).

The aurora are amazing in the winter, when it's cold and clear every night. But in the summer, there's not a lot of dark time. Even in the San Juans, July twilight -> twilight is only ~10 PM -> ~5 AM, and it's much shorter as you go further North - in AK, you won't see true dark at all, and thus, no aurora in the summers.

And a winter cruise up the inside passage is probably a lot to ask of a C-22.

May 10, 2022
Catalina 22 Puget Sound
Oh! I see the connection!
Summertime = long days less darkness to see the lights...
Wintertime = more darkness for lights but more nasty/ dangerous weather...
Got it !

May 10, 2022
Catalina 22 Puget Sound
@ Ralph Johnstone: Those photos sre STUNNING! If that's not reason enough to go, I don't know what is?
I'm working my way through a long list of boat projects, both repairs & upgrades.
I'm building a new rudder & upgrading all the hardware. The motor bracket got a rebuild too.
This summer will be used to cruise the boat, spend some time on it, figure out what works for me and what needs to change. Once I get her back in fighting form, I'll sail some this winter, to refresh and hone my heavy weather sailing skills.

Jan 4, 2006
Don't know if you've got any rapids in your backyard but it is worth it to get a set of tables to time these monsters and see them like mill ponds at slack and then grow to whirlpool swollen suicide runs, six hours later :yikes:. Makes you realize you don't amount to squat when you're up against mother nature.

May 10, 2022
Catalina 22 Puget Sound
Don't know if you've got any rapids in your backyard but it is worth it to get a set of tables to time these monsters and see them like mill ponds at slack and then grow to whirlpool swollen suicide runs, six hours later :yikes:. Makes you realize you don't amount to squat when you're up against mother nature.
I'm familiar with deseption pass.
We get standing waves in Agate Pass occasionally.
Running rapids is not what one thinks of when sailing...?

Jan 4, 2006
Running rapids is not what one thinks of when sailing...?
We always associate rapids with sailing when sailing in the Gulf Islands as they control the timing when we move. If we're heading into the Gulf Islands through Gabriola Passage on June 18 of this year, we will give 17:30 (correct for daylight saving) a wiiiiiiiiiide berth when transiting and look rather towards 14:04 for the transit. Some of the transit times are a bitch when you have to be at a destination at a different time. You'll get the feel for how much liberty you can take with these times. High maximum, hit the slack within a couple of minutes, low maximum, +/- an hour is close enough or maybe not even worry about it if the max. is only a knot or two. Whirlpools and loss of control are the worry.

If you've previously had a high max., it's like rush hour traffic at both ends. Sailboats counting down. "And they're OFF". The ones to watch out for are the tugs with a couple of log booms. They'll start off 10 minutes early in order to get to the other end of the Passage before they're fighting off a strong reversal and risk going backwards. Gets a little hairy at that point. You're trying to avoid the tug and it's boom as they corral you into the shore and yet clear the Passage before you see a reversal. WHY AM I DOING THIS :yikes: ! Makes for great stories at the end of the day, tied up at a peaceful little marina.

1653241536706.png

There is a viewing area above Gabriola Passage which we like to visit when the Passage has a large max. The area is a riot of whirlpools and out of control powerboats.