Innovative Storage Ideas?

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
Am sure this has been talked about, but unsure what to search under...
New to me boat. Closet near v-berth was taken over by AC unit. Looking for ideas on what others have done for personal storage throughout the boat. Starting with clothing, but also all-around storage. It's just me, so quarter berth is available, but need accessibility ideas, e.g., slide out drawers, small hangar rack?
Will look through the Collection / Compendium again, that Mr. Dickens put together.
I have some ideas for removable pedestal shelves for side cubby holes (what is their proper name?). Thanks

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Where and how to store things on a sailboat is one of the enjoyable aspects of owning a sailboat. I would prioritize safety first then convenience second. After that, it is up to you.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What ever you do about storage systems be sure you plan to have locks on them. If they slide they will slide open when your sailing spilling what ever you stored all about the boat. When you have water intrusion, note when not if, what ever you have stored will try to get wet. If getting wet is a problem, then include water tight containers in your storage plan. Lastly as you store your cans of chili on board, what guy doesn’t have an emergency can of chili aboard, Mark the can with a permanent marker. What is the content. That way when your craving meat chili you won’t confuse your planned supper with the vegetarian can just because the labels have come off.

Storage on a boat is a bit of an art form. Remembering where you stored the stuff is the master class.

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
Thanks all. Good point about the water-tight containers. Will have to keep that in mind for tools and everything else also. And ensure I have containers that will fit in the shelf space am building. Build around easily obtainable containers (size).

Still haven't come up with an idea for where a short hangar rod could go for a few slacks and shirts.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
And don't forget your tux, dress shirt, black bow tie and patent leather shoes!!

On a lighter note I keep my tools in a low profile, closeable case on a low shelf with a synethic drawer liner under so it will not move and all the hardware in sealed, waterproof plastic containers. All drawers and lockers have lockable latches.