Inland bridge clearence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2009
Hunter 34 Fort Pierce Fl
Can anyone tell me if a 53.6 mast will clear bridges along Tenn/Tom and Tenn river as on a H33.5 or do I need to stay with the H34 with a mast of 51.6 not sure yet which boat to get

Oct 29, 2009
Hunter 34 Fort Pierce Fl
Have tried that. NOAA just takes me to Mobile Bay and inland maps of Tenn. river have all clearances on reverse side which dont show up and not ready to purchase charts as of yet maybe if I print them out?

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
Lots of concerns with river levels as well. Lots of rain up river, less clearance...drought, lot of clearance above boat, but not below.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Tenn Tom Bridge Clearance - neither will probably work

First, your mast height is probably not either of those numbers as Hunter's specs take you to the top of the actual mast -not including the light, wind instruments, and antenna. My H356 has a 55'-3" spec "mast height", but is actually 58.69 feet to the tip of the vhf antenna and to clear the light and raymarine wind instrument it is 56.91 feet - that bends the vhf antenna which will likely snap against your wind instrument and will definitely take out your windex (mine was gone within 3 weeks of buying my boat in 03).

I've been down the Tenn-Tom (in a Cabo Rico 38 with the mast up) and there are flat bridges that are listed at 52 feet we cleared the vhf anteena by 2 inches. There are arch bridges that are listed as 52 feet and that is to the low steel at the side of the bridge. I have had mixed answers about whether it is clearance to the light (hangs down about a foot or more) or the structural steel.

You should measure both ACCURATELY by survey or by going up the mast and dropping a tape down. Most at KY Lake take the mast down and re-step in Mobile. It's not that big a deal to do that and I wouldn't buy my boat based on that as a limitation if I were you.

I have a spreadsheet that has all the mast clearances for all the bridges down the Tenn-Tom. You also need to adjust them each day for the actual water heights and there is a link on my spreadsheet that shows where to get the information and then you must manually enter it. If you want the spreadsheet, I will e-mail it to you if you post your e-mail. It worked for us in the Cabo Rico. You will need to also enter your own specific mast heights - including the lights, wind, etc.for it to work properly.

I have attached two pdf files - one is the listing of the bridges from the Tenn-Tom chart book. The other is the 356 mast from base to antenna, etc. - IT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE BASE TO WATER DIMENSION WHICH MUST BE ADDED!

Attachments

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Seconfd file too large to load!

Photos of the top of my mast before stepping were too large to load. I will e-mail to you if you want the information on the dimensions of the stuff on top of my mast.

Status
Not open for further replies.