Injecting resin...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2008
Hunter 20 Wilmington
Hi All, I don't have much experience yet with fiberglass and gelcoat repairs, so advice would be very helpful. I'm just wondering if I can get a few opinions regarding methods for getting resin (in some form, e.g. body filler, putty, etc.) into a deep, narrow cavity. Just jamming it in with tools can get messy. Is it possible to put some thickened, catalyzed resin into a syringe and inject it cleanly into the hole? Or is resin that is thick enough not to run too thick for a syringe? The particular situation involves the joint between the deck and hull. A length has separated due to an impact. After reinforcing and resealing the joint, there remains a small gap (about .2") on the underside of the rail that faces downward. It needs to be filled and gelcoated. I'm hoping that a syringe will get filler in there and leave some depth for gelcoat putty. Thanks

Dan H

Oct 9, 2005
Catalina C25 SW Michigan
It's pretty easy actually

What I've done to get the thickened resin into a small crack, I use syringes purchased at the veterinarians office for feeding small animals. I think they are 60cc syringes. I put a drinking straw on the end of the syringe. MacDonald’s straws are a larger diameter and fit over the tips of the syringe the best. I have also put adhesive shrink tubing over the tip and the straw to keep the straw on. The beauty of using the straw is that you can flatten it and slide it into the thinnest crack. I’d use epoxy not polyester resin, and thicken it with fumed silica until it has a ketchup consistency. Once it’s mixed I pack it in the syringe, place the plunger into the syringe, and with the syringe upside down, bang it on the bench until all the epoxy is against the plunger. This way when you start pushing the epoxy in the crack, the air is forced out first. Have some denatured alcohol around for cleanup.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
syringe

West Epoxies make syringes for the purpose you describer. Another option is a dentist. They have a syringe they give patients for washing our the area of a pulled tooth. They are completely plastic with a curved tip on them. They gotta be inexpensive.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I buy syringes at the local farm supply store.

The next best bet is your local pharmacist. He can order anything for you.

Jan 23, 2008
Hunter 20 Wilmington
Thanks, syringe works well.

I got a 60ml syringe, thickened up some resin w/ fumed silica and the sucker is tight as new and no leaks. Thanks for the tips. BTW - the syringe is also very good for filling in old drill holes.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Old syringe reused?

Are the syringes throw-aways? Or, do you clean with something and re-use?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I throw them out they only cost about 75 cents

acetone to clean them would exceed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.