Info on Irwin's for a potential traitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don

I am a poor but proud and loyal(?) owner of a '84 H31, but I have been smitten with a 1983 Irwin 38 center cockpit. And yes, I am thinking of moving on depsite this incredible wesite. My question for anyone who will/can stomach the idea is do you have any experience with Irwins, particularly a 38cc? I'm not a racing sailor, I take short weekend trips and spend a lot of time napping on my boat. The Irwin 38cc has tons of room and many features I can only find on new and much more expensive sailboats. Plus my second mate is absolutely in love with it. Someday I might be able to afford a newer Hunter center cockpit or the like, but it ain't today. My searches on the internet have not yielded much, so I thought I would seek out a kind Hunter owner that might have had experience with Irwins. Anyone out there? Any help/advice/information would be appreciated.

R

Ron Dague

Practical Sailor

Practical Sailor (which doesn't like Hunters much either) reviewed the Irwin CC and it is in their boat buying guide. They found it to be a very poor sailing boat, terrible upwind. Construction on the Irwin's, especially smaller ones, is often marginal. For example, on the Citation 34, the hull-deck joint is not thru-bolted. It uses self-tapping screws. A common source for leaks. Never owned the 38 CC, but it looks like you're giving up alot to get the space down below. Mix in the high freeboard. Excuse the analogy, but kind of a houseboat with a mast. My opinion, for what it's worth, is based upon looking at them, and reading. I've never sailed one. If were looking for an alternative to the Hunter CC's, I'd look at an older C&C Landfall 43 (or is it a 44?), which sell in the $75K - $110K range. Ron Dague h34 S/V Finesse

J

Jay Hill

Input on Everything

In looking for my cruising boat, I ran across and test-sailed/researched a few Irwins along the way. VERY roomy boats with above average access to everything. Nice deep hull allows lots of "stuff" placed in the bilge. I really like them too and would still consider ownership "for the right price" Disadvantages and problems I found while reading through surveys on a few: Sail poor to weather with full keel; worse than Island Packets even. If you're not the least bit concerned with "speed" or upwind performance, they are, however, very stable. If the Irwin in question has fin keel, forget all of the above. Number one name for Irwins around here: "Party Barge" but that doesn't sound too bad to this bachelor. Problems with rudders both in damage due to depth and construction/loss. The rudder is attached to the boat via regular rudder post (that may be leaky), but also has "horizontal skeg" (I can't remember the proper name for a support that travels from aft end of full keel to bottom of rudder.) Of 6 Irwins surveyed/considered, 5 had a major problem with this area; either damage to rudder or "skeg" or both. Be sure to have surveyor check this thoroughly. As with a lot of boats, at least 50% of the portlights leaked on the vessels I looked at. Several had leaks under companion boards/hatch and caused rot on sole below companion ladder. Two units (a 44' and 46') had leaks along hull/deck joint and since this size boat rarely has gunwales in the water, I suspect it leaks through/under toerails (teak) even during cleaning and rain. Wiring looked above average and layouts are great. Still has the best shower compartment I've seen to date. (46' CC version.) A couple of the owners said things like: "Yeah, we went through a couple of severe blows off the coast of such-n-such; a real Force 8 or 9, and she handled it no problem" but you know HOW us owners are, always bragging about our boats no matter HOW exaggerated. By the way, although no shameless ads are allowed in the forum posts, HOW much you want for your boat or do you plan to keep it for a dinghy? (I didn't see an ad for the boat here in HOW.)

J

Jay Hill

Oh yeah, here's the Irwin website:

You might try asking some owners what their problems were. www.angelfire.com/fl/irwinsailboats/

T

Tom M.

FACING THE FACTS

The fact is, what you want is a condo, you're not very interested in sailing and how well your boat responds to your commands, I believe you also have a deep rooted fear of the sea, why else would you want to surround yourself with a floating center cockpit condo, which has been poorly built. I suggest facing the facts, sell your 31 footer, and stay on land. Now You may think, that I've been hard on you, but the only people who buy an Irwin 27 or 38 CC is a demonstrative woman, who dreads leaving her comforts at the dock, and relates everything to size.

G

Greg Stebbins

Forgot to take your pills again Tom?

Don, I know nothing about Erwins but if you like the boat and it seems sound enough for your requirements, then do it. If you run into trouble later, make a recovery plan and execute. All boats are a challenge and no boat is low maintenance. Some boats can survive deferred maintenance a little better than others. In the end all require the same.

D

Don

Tom M - Keep it to yourself , ok buddy?

Uour email is rude, unsolicited and evidences more than a few problems of your own. I've spent a lifetime on boats (40+) years and don't need your insight or insults to continue doing what I enjoy. Get a life.

J

Jay Hill

Too Much Coffee Tom?

Remember now: "To each his own" the world is filled with wonderous variety in people, thus, a wonderous variety of vessels to choose from. Don's apparent search for a boat that will keep the little lady happy as well as provide some comforts but still have a mast is well justified. He is reaching out to his fellow sailors to obtain insight and opinions, even yours. The beauty of ASKING for opinions is that you get to ignore the ones from people that are having a bad day and wanted to take it out on a total stranger. I am impressed with your clarvoyance; it is rare that one can know another so well from two paragraphs worth of questions. And all I can say from Texas is: "You're not from around here are ya?"

J

Jeff Walker

Seen them in action

Hi Don, Our neighbors have the Irwin 38CC and it seems like a very solid boat. They recently came back from a rendevous in the Channel Islands and hit some very heavy winds and seas (we saw their video). Their boat was one of the few that did not have mechanical problems and got back in one piece. They have it outfitted for cruising complete with an inner forestay, watermaker, genset, and other hardware for a trip to the Sea of Cortez. They say it's slow but you can't have everything. Good luck, Jeff

G

Tom's Free Consult

Dx: R/O 317 / 318.0 / 318.1 / 295.30 Rx: Haldol / Thorazine If anybody else speaks this language, what do you think?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hey Doc

Among more than 100 megabytes of forum posts, over 3+ years, I think that's the funniest reply I've seen here yet.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Doctor, doctor

Do you think you may have mis-diagosed the patients condition. I believe that he may be suffering from a severe case of anal-cranial displacement.

C

Clarke W.

Potassium Bolus

One of the nice things about the sailing community is its diversity and tolerance.Everyone has different needs and makes different tradeoffs in boat selection.How much of this is my fellow Hunter owners siezing what they see as a rare chance to look down on someone else.Many people dump on Hunters as slow and shoddy that does not make it so.If a boat will fill your needs and you are realistic about its condition and upkeep why the hell not! As for the patient even though I preach tolerance in this paticular case a large potassium bolus would be best for the earth in general

G

My Pleasure, Phil

Phil, Glad you liked my note. Hopefully it's a small payback for all of your work on this site. I didn't know you spoke ICD9/DSMIV ! Now I'm going sailing. Signed, Can't sign my name because I'm not licensed to practice on the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.