Inflatable tender

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Have obtained a new 8 foot inflatable tender and would like suggestions on what outboard to use. This is a soft bottom (slats only - not rigid hull.)

Charles

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
What is your main use for it? Just simple transportation to get ashore from a mooring or when at anchor?

I like the 4-stroke Honda 2.3 hp air cooled engine. It is light (29 lbs.) and there is no impeller/water pump to worry about. The carb can be finicky due to ethanol, but if you make a point to run TruFuel through it as the last thing before storing it for any period of time you'll have no issues.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I recently purchased a Yamaha 6 for my inflatable. Not as light as the 4 hp, but plenty of power to get around and in a pinch push my sail boat along to safe harbor.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Have obtained a new 8 foot inflatable tender and would like suggestions on what outboard to use. This is a soft bottom (slats only - not rigid hull.)

Charles
First and foremost follow the builders recommendations. There should be a plaque on the boat that lists the max HP.

Max motor size is based on motor weight and power, too much power and the transom to tube connection will be damaged. A soft bottom tender will not go all that fast, so a smaller (under 4 hp) HP motor should do just fine, don't expect to get up on a plane. An electric motor may be a good choice.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
My West Marine inflatable PRU3 53 lb, 8'4" rollup dinghy.uses an electric Torqeedo 503CS short shaft with 915 Wh battery, which only weighs 28.4 lbs.

Jan 30, 2012
This advice is much appreciated. Furthermore, intend to take that advice to heart.

The idea is slow and reliable - which is an improvement of my nesting dinghy - which is all oars. Very reliable and slow too.

But it is time to try something I have not tried before. So if anyone is interested in a nesting dinghy -- well

Charles

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I would second the choice of a Torqeedo. No gas to carry on the big boat, or oil to mix with the gas. Lots of power (3hp), and it breaks down to several components to store easily.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
When we purchased our boat in 2002, it came with a five horse 2 cycle Mercury and an eight foot inflatable. Just the right size for our family. It has been a good combination, very reliable and low maintenance. I always make it point to run the carburetor dry after each cruise. Seldom gets used as I tend to row ashore or around the anchorage exploring. The motor is stored on the stern rail port side and the dinghy on the step transom athwart ships.

Jan 30, 2012
These ideas are great. Most appreciated. This place is right good. I value you folks - and my overly direct writing style notwithstanding these many years - I get to count on good advice and so does everyone else.

Good luck on your resolutions for the New Year and Happy New Year to all.

Charles

Last edited:

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton

Charles
My daughter had an 8’ inflatable with a 2hp Honda. Light and reliable it pushed the dinghy just fine. A bigger motor would be a waste, especially with the slatted floor.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Good luck on your resolutions for the New Year and Happy New Year to all.
Happy New Year to you and your family, Charles. So glad that we had our visit this past season in Blind Bay. Always nice to put a face with a name as we did.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I am on the electric side. My 30# Minn Kota pushes my 170 just fine. Outboards are fine things but they are smelly and nasty. My boat came with a Merc 3.3 and while it outperforms the electric it isn't worth the headache. If your situation permits, I recommend some type of electric.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Anywhere from 2HP to 5HP will provide similar performance with light load (1-2 persons). For heavier loads (3-4 person) I would lean to 4-5 HP. Engine weight is a consideration as it is much easier to handle a 30 lbs. engine than a 55 lbs. one. Another factor is the built in fuel tank vs an auxiliary tank. Space can be at premium so for short trips a built in tank does not take up any additional space but for longer trips an auxiliary tank or can provide more fuel. Lastly pick an engine with maintenance and parts availability in your area.

Jul 20, 2020
Hunter 30 1001 Nyack NY Hudson River
I purchased a Mercury 4 cycle 2.5hp this past season for my soft bottom achilles rollup 8.5 ft.
it's not fast but I am fine with that. I bought a tiller extension which moves my weight to the middle and helps quite a bit.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
What's the hurry? If it is just a tender to go to shore then get a small and light motor. I have a 2.5HP Yamaha four cycle and have never used full throttle. There are usually two adults and one large dog on board. I use about a gallon of trufuel a year. Keep a one gallon plastic fuel can in the dinghy for a reserve to the built in tank on the motor. If you are buying a new inflatable consider bonding an extra layer of fabric on the bottom as extra protection against punctures. Step out before you rub on the bottom when going ashore. I paint the bottom every year to keep hard growth at bay and leave the dinghy in the water all season.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
What's the hurry?
Somtime ya wanna go fast! My 8 foot Achilles dinghy is slightly overpowered and can get up on a plane for those quick transits to a neighboring cove or that hot spring a couple miles away.
Sea state providing, of course.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
With an 8' slat bottom blow up boat, there's not much point to going over 3hp. I like the Suzuki 2.5, as it's the lightest motor in it's class. But, Tohatsu, Honda, Yamaha, etc., are fine.

Unfortunately, ALL the little single cylinder engines are HORRIBLE. Loud with a lot of vibration. My 1956 Evinrude 3hp was a joy to run. Smooth, quiet, and reliable, with two cylinders. The manufacturers have apparently concluded that the market will not support a decent running motor under 5hp.

Rather than have a noisy POS on the transom, I would opt for an electric motor, IF my usage pattern provide a way to keep it charged.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
We have a 3.5 Mercury 4 stroke on our 8’-6” Zodiac slat bottom roll up. It pushes us along fine, but truth be told our old 3.5 Mercury 2 stroke had more power.
As mentioned, whatever engine you get, buy a tiller extension for when you’re solo. I’ll give you much better control as it’ll help with cavitation and crabbing.

Jan 30, 2012
Many thanks to all for the input.

For what it is worth I decided on the Suzuki 2.5. The Suzuki weighs the same as the Honda, but it is water cooled, much less noisy, and the clutch is a manual direct instead of the (chain saw type) centrivical clutch that Honda uses .

Charles