Inflatable dinghy sealant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
We have an aged inflatable dinghy that has developed a slow leak that, thus far, has avoided detection. My question is, has anyone had any good experience with a spray-applied sealant that we could appy to the pontoon seams throughout the interior of the dinghy?

May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
It's going to depend on whether it is Hypalon or PVC material. on the dinghy. If it's Hypalon than a 1/2 pint can of Shore Adhesive is available fro Defender Industries (boating supply store) in Waterford CT. I have used that with very good results. I'm not sure what would be best for PVC.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter '93 Legend 35.5 DBBC - Cheboygan, MI
I had very good success this Summer with "Inflatable Boat Sealant" from Inland Marine. www.inlandmarine.us. I see that West Marine is selling what appears to be a similar product. The sealant is a little pricey at $54 per quart, but you only use 4-ounces per dinghy cavity. You open up up the fill valve on the problem pontoon, pour 4-oz of sealant in, close up fill valve, pressurize the dinghy, and tumble dinghy end-over-end and side-to-side around your lawn for 5 minutes. Repeat tumbling a few times over an hour's time. My dinghy is hypalon but I don't think the sealant cares. Worked GREAT for me!

Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
I neglected to mention, the leak is a water leak seeming to be entering somewhere around the wooden transom.

Sep 4, 2012
Hunter 42 Passage Lake Lanier
Inflatable Dinghy Paint

Has anyone tried using inflatable boat pait to restore a dinghy? I have a Caribe dinghy that is in good shape, but the surface is going "chalky". I saw some restoration paint at http://www.allinflatables.com/shopping/paint/index.html

Has anyone tried this or other products with any success? Any other suggestions to restore the surface?

Status
Not open for further replies.