Infinitely adjustable genoa tracks

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
That sounds like it will wear out or get dirty and bind.
Wonder too but dirt is harder on ball bearings..... and even ball bearings wear out eventually. I am more curious about the friction to overcome ..... Time will tell.... next season...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sure could. But reason to spray boat down with fresh water hose a few time a year. Also a squirt of liquid soap then a freshwater hose down goes a long way to helping maintain your hardware.

Oct 22, 2014
How are they installed? Friction set like a wiper blade or is there a set screw internal at the end of the slide.

Feb 16, 2017
I was unaware that they changed to the self-lubricating slides, that would explain fitting in the recessed tracks now. I have used the slides in the past, keep the underside of the track clean, they tend to get dirt and it acts like sandpaper.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I was unaware that they changed to the self-lubricating slides, that would explain fitting in the recessed tracks now. I have used the slides in the past, keep the underside of the track clean, they tend to get dirt and it acts like sandpaper.
I have a recessed track on my Hunter 31 and the 1” ones fit mine just fine and mine are older with the bearings. You are right the “normal” ones won’t fit a recessed track. You just have to let the Garhauer folks know what you’ve got.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The ball bearing ones came mounted on a little bit of track that is used as a carrier. We move the cars to the top track when we're loading up the 135, and you don't want to lose the track. Packing the balls would be a real job.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Maybe this car assembly is specific to the recessed track, brought on by a lack of space.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
My dealer is trying to talk me out of this. He owns and races a Capri 22 and says that he has a setting for each sail and that he never adjusts the lead from it's predesignated position. Draft is adjusted solely with halyard and backstay tension, mainly halyard.

Thoughts?

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
There are many ways of skinning that cat (and I am no expert...). Depends really on your skill level and if you single hand or have a crew....

Oct 22, 2014
Some racers race by numbers (marks on halyards mean different settings). Some (I fall in this category. It is how I learned to trim sails.) trim sails by feel. Both work, the second takes a bit longer to learn and involves wins and losses. I think feel works better, in that I am always sensing change and making adjustments earlier than the numbers person. It is similar to playing music. Some folk only play by sheet music, others play by ear and feel. Both can cause enjoyment.

@letlmt I think you need to find the path that works for you. I you find the ideas shared by the dealer will work for you then buy in to them and try them 100%. If on the other hand you start to feel the boat and think you should make a change, then make the change and see what happens. You may stumble into something that works for you and your boat. Pretty soon you’ll be telling us something we did not know. And that is a beautiful moment.