Indoor/Outdoor marine speakers

Sep 11, 2021
CAL 34 CAL 34 Fortman Marina
Hi, does anyone have suggestions for mid range in/outdoor marine speakers? Mid range, nothing too fancy....

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I fit a pair of flush mount weatherproof Polyplanar at coachroof facing cockpit.

Ken Y

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Here is the thread on my upgrade.. Speakers were reasonable

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I use a Bose mini II most of the time. Great sound without taxing the batteries. I did replace the cockpit speakers with Kicker KM604W been very happy with them but need to replace the receiver/radio with one that is Bluetooth‘d.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Ditto on Larry's post. Very happy with that speaker.
Yes, me too, but I just have one. But I also replaced the cockpit speakers just so I didn't have to close the holes some other way. I bought a lighted pair just to add some bling. I haven't connected the lights yet, but the speakers are ok. They are in a bad placement so it is hard to tell if they are any good. They compete with the speakers the PO mounted under the stern rail seats. (I think he overdid it with the cockpit speakers). I spent less than $150 I'm sure. When I see the box, I'll tell you what they are ....

Found them on line. They are Rockville 8" RMC80LW for less than $100. I bought them for the lights basically, because they are very close to the cockpit floor and I needed to fill the existing holes. It probably would be much safer, if we ever encounter boarding waves, to fill those holes.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I don't know how you would ever take suggestions. There are literally hundreds of options in all price ranges. You could just throw a dart at a chart and it wouldn't make any difference IMHO.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I don't know how you would ever take suggestions. There are literally hundreds of options in all price ranges. You could just throw a dart at a chart and it wouldn't make any difference IMHO.
And some are exactly the same speaker for a wildly different price. Example:
West Marine @~$140:
18006668_1500.15112019103116.jpg

Cheapie Dual @~$44:
DDD81n+7o0UejL._AC_SS450_.jpg

These are identical speakers except for the grills. $100 price difference for the pair. The grills will rust instantly when exposed to air around salt water.

• Wow
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I currently have Sony marine speakers in cabin & cockpit. At 14 years, the Flush mounted cockpit speakers need replacement. Will likely replace with similar Sony models or perhaps Fusion (Garmin) marine speakers. The size of the present cutout will be a big determinant as to which speaker I choose. Have seen good reviews about the Fusion line up. Expect to pay approximately $100 for a pair. I would only use a flush mounted speaker in the cockpit, too much potential for bracket mounted speakers to hang up on sheets, halyards, or dock lines.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
These are identical speakers except for the grills. $100 price difference for the pair. The grills will rust instantly when exposed to air around salt water.
So are you NOT recommending these speakers? I'm confused...

dj

p.s. I'm following this tread as I'll have to replace my cockpit speakers likely over this winter.

• Ha
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
So are you NOT recommending these speakers? I'm confused...

dj

p.s. I'm following this tread as I'll have to replace my cockpit speakers likely over this winter.
I'm recommending that folks don't spend $100 too much. For $44 they can be replaced when they get too rusty or the spring connectors go tango uniform. But they aren't worth $140. This is common in the car/marine audio world (and boat parts, and tools, etc). Price for the exact same product changes based on the brand got stuck on it.

They sound OK. Not awesome. Just Ok. Grills come off and can be painted. I removed the spring connectors and replaced with waterproof connectors.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
If you want simple and good: pairs with your phone or tablet using Bluetooth. You can use them single or pair for stereo. Water resistant. I own a pair, and they’re surprisingly good for the price. They sound like $100 speakers.
I have one of these that we use at home, different one on the boat but, that would work great on the boat for sure. As others have said, no holes and quick and easy use. Can just carry inside when it is time too. Do you have Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, SiriusXM, or any of the other myriad of services? I would go Bluetooth for sure then.

Sep 11, 2021
CAL 34 CAL 34 Fortman Marina
I have one of these that we use at home, different one on the boat but, that would work great on the boat for sure. As others have said, no holes and quick and easy use. Can just carry inside when it is time too. Do you have Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, SiriusXM, or any of the other myriad of services? I would go Bluetooth for sure then.
Hi, yeah, Spotify! Definitely bluetooth!