Incredible coverage of the Forrestal fire

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
at the merchant marine fire fighting school i went to they showed that and reviewed it so we could learn. a ship's fire is different than a house fire, if you don't put it out you die.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Saw a version of this film while aboard NAS Memphis, Naval Air Technical Training School, "Aviation Fundamentals," 1971.
The most dangerous threat shipboard is fire; these images reveal the severity of that threat.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Similar fire on Bonhomme Richard recently during maintenance. I understand the ship was declared a total loss.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Was that in Millington, TN? I was there in '73
Justin,
Yes that was Millington, TN. I was there for 6 months in '71. Went to Naval Air boot camp there as well as aviation prep schools and finally "A" school. Was in Memphis a few years ago and drove to Millington to check it out. Entire NAS is gone. Air field is now local government owned, they sold off a lot of real estate that is now subdivisions. Schools are now all relocated and many buildings demolished or repurposed. Just a minimal Navy presence there now. :(

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin,
Yes that was Millington, TN. I was there for 6 months in '71. Went to Naval Air boot camp there as well as aviation prep schools and finally "A" school. Was in Memphis a few years ago and drove to Millington to check it out. Entire NAS is gone. Air field is now local government owned, they sold off a lot of real estate that is now subdivisions. Schools are now all relocated and many buildings demolished or repurposed. Just a minimal Navy presence there now. :(
That's too bad. My station, MCAS El Toro is gone too. NAS at Subic Bay is gone. The Midway is a museum. <sigh>