Inaccessible space

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Along that line, I was thinking about cutting a hatch or two in the front of the settees to access the storage without lifting the cushions. I'd make doors similar to what's on other cabinents. Could access small stuff that way or lift the cushions for the big stuff. I dont think there's anyhting structural with the inner liner that make up the settees but that calls for further investigation.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
I was considering ways to gaining more access (not specifically the way you describe, which seems very doable!) but I'm always afraid of cutting into my boat any more than necessary. I have a tendency to mess that stuff up and all I need is to have one more opening to the outside. I was, however, thinking of mounting a sliding platform (like a drawer without the sides) to make it more accessible.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Decent Idea

That locker is a PIA to access anything. You would think Catalina would have put a second hatch there to access that area.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
That locker is a PIA to access anything. You would think Catalina would have put a second hatch there to access that area.
Yea, that was what I was thinking. The problem is, since there is no lip molded for water to run off that if you try to cut a hatch from the outside it will leak.
By doing the access from inside it should not cause a leak.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Just to be clear I was talking about easier access to the storage under the settees in the cabin. (Not exposed to weather) Moving the cushions which may have stuff on them and setting aside the cover is the PIA I'd like to cure.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
While we are talking about use of space, has anyone ever made some usagle space under the two little "Steps" next to the forward berth? I know they are small, but wondered if you were to hinge the teak covers if you could store shoes or something (small tools, anything) in the resulting compartments?

By the way, may not look the most attractive, but if you do want to access the space in the rear, you can always purchase one of those deck hatches (such as powerboats use) they are pre-mounted to the flange, have gaskets for the hatch and the frame flange, and a nice resessed quarter turn latch to secure it. They come pretty large also, so you can allow a nice size opening. (at least they are white)

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
The nice thing about accessing this space from the head is that it would be at eye level. Hatches under the cushions would not.

Sep 29, 2008
Witz, I like you idea

The nice thing about accessing this space from the head is that it would be at eye level. Hatches under the cushions would not.
It would need to be a very big deck hatch to be useful.

Long Story, What 2 steps by the forward berth are you talking about?

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
In mine, at each side of the bed there are two little steps in the "Walk around" area about 12" high to help getting up into the berth. There is teak flooring on top of each with about 6 screws holding it in place. Seemed it would make nice little compartments, even if you had to hang bags in there?

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River

RP, your not following me here... There would be no deck hatch. The access would be through the bulkhead from the shower area in the head as my pictures indicated.

Sep 29, 2008
I am following you

RP, your not following me here... There would be no deck hatch. The access would be through the bulkhead from the shower area in the head as my pictures indicated.
What I am calling a deck hatch is in the West Marine Catalog as an access hatch. I am thinking of exactly what I have at the bottom to access my head raw water and macerator hull openings. An example is here. I kind of like the 13"x23" or something along those lines.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10114&subdeptNum=11315&classNum=11374

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Yea, those would probably work, was thinking more on the line of making my own. Not sure what sort of gap between the liner and bulkhead there may be to fill.

Sep 29, 2008
Witz and Long Story

I am following you both.

Long Story, I understand what you are getting at. Personally I like those steps, and don't think I need the storage that bad.

Witz, Apologies if it seemed like I did not understand you. I was thinking after thinking about it that inside the head/shower area that bulkhead was the best place. Then it would be eye level. I am just thinking it would be best to go with the biggest opening as I try and store big crap up there so a big opening would be best to open up in there and poke around. As much as I hate cutting holes in the boat that is hole worthy. I was thinking of a hatch like the one for the hull valves that those are watertight, easy to use, and look pretty good. Cut a hole, a nice amount of caulk and you are in business.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina Position

Traded email with Warren Pandy at Catalina. He says the interior bulkhead is plenty strong and would not be compromised by putting a hatch in it. I am going to check my existing access hatch (for the macerator and head water hull valves) and then check to see if I can match.

Now the only thing we need to figure out is the optimum size hatch.

Oct 31, 2005
Catalina C310 Dana Point, CA
Head Access to Inaccessible Space

Anyone ever think about cutting an access door into the inaccessible space in the port cockpit locker from the head?
Witzend,

Yep, thought about it several times but never took on the project. I store things in that area in large, plastic tubs with lids--but to get to them you basically have to empty out the entire area into the cockpit (which is no fun).:doh:

Will look forward to seeing how your project turns out--think it is a GREAT idea.

Happy Sailing,
Gary

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Anyone ever think about cutting an access door into the inaccessible space in the port cockpit locker from the head?

Witz

I like the idea of having access to that area from the inside....:lastweek:

I have a head exhaust fan in that area which was installed by the PO.

Switch for this fan is on the AC/DC panel so normally nobody uses it, except grandkids to play with.

Here is some pictures...........https://picasaweb.google.com/1dbpaul/HeadFan#

paulj :troll:

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Witz

I have a head exhaust fan in that area which was installed by the PO.

Switch for this fan is on the AC/DC panel so normally nobody uses it, except grandkids to play with.

Here is some pictures...........https://picasaweb.google.com/1dbpaul/HeadFan#

These are great pics Paul, thanks for sharing them with us!! Looks like it would be better to put the access further outboard lining it with the higher section of the storage compartment. In my case that would be where my AC compressor is, so I would need to put the access panel right where you have the hole for the vent. One question though, it would appear to be single wall construction where the hole is, do I have that correct?

Sep 29, 2008
What does it look like from the head side?

Witz

I have a head exhaust fan in that area which was installed by the PO. Switch for this fan is on the AC/DC panel so normally nobody uses it, except grandkids to play with.
Here is some pictures...........https://picasaweb.google.com/1dbpaul/HeadFan# paulj :troll:
Inquiring minds want to know.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Witzend

"One question though, it would appear to be single wall construction where the hole is, do I have that correct? "

Yes......about 1/8".

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.