Inability to hook up to GFCI shore POWER while on-the-hard

Mar 19, 2022
Beneteau Oceanic 35.2 Haverstraw, NY
added comments =

First, to all the responders in my ORIGINAL STATEMENT - and questions ref to WHY THE GFCI ON THE SHOREPOWER perpetually trips out shortly after accepting shore power hooked up. ( details below) ,…a plaguing problem, indeed,… Finally back on the Forum,..and all variables were checked,..as I swapped all power cords,…And moved to a different GFCI.

I cleaned all connections - male and female connectors into the vessel and on power cords As well as the GFCI itself,…( while tripped/ while UNPOWERED ). Same issue of GFCI eventual trip out occurs, as AFTER WAITING several minutes, 3-7 minutes, typically, and regardless of which order users I select ( battery charger, outlets, interior lights,…) the GFCI is found tripped. I’ve changed out the order of reinstating various users, however to NO SUCCESS. I may be posting this further comment in an incorrect location on The Forum,
AGAIN, THANK YOU ALL for piping in on your MULTIPLE SUGGESTIONS.

AN EMAIL RESPONSE works - Sarks757@aol.com
I’ll continue in a search for added suggestions on the Forum.

Edward A. Sarkisian
1999 Beneteau 35,2 Oceanis.

I just acquired a Beneteau Oceanis 35.2 and the boat will not hook up to GFCI shore Power on the hard. The shore power comes into TWO segments of circuit A) the MAIN circuit ( upper electrical panel) and . B) A/C :Air Conditioner circuit. ( lower electrical panel)
When I plug in from fence line GFCI to the boat, both panel power available lights illuminate, (main AC power available and air conditioning AC power available). Everytime I close the main onboard switch to “accept main ship power” the fence line GFCI trips.

When bringing the boat up during its ferry run AND while dockside, at Haverstraw, as well as previous marinas, There was ALWAYS a CONSISTENT ABILITY to ATTAIN shore power.
Note: prior to closing the main ship power switch to “ accept” shore power, all user-switches ARE “ OFF”. Despite this, the fen line GFCI TRIPS.
You can also email me as well as this for Forum to Sarks757@aol.com
E1E2FAAB-8598-40A4-94C9-87EB539619C3.jpeg
C11EF346-0265-43AF-8765-DA7DAF561EB0.jpeg

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
A GFCI will trip whenever it detects power going out on the hot wire that’s not balanced by what comes back on the neutral wire. That generally happens if power is coming back on the ground wire or through earth. It could also happen from nuisance trips caused by some appliances.

The status of the switches on the DC panel don’t really make a difference for the GFCI. The DC circuits are powered by the batteries and don’t really touch the AC side.

To help narrow down your problem - Do you have a battery charger? Water heater? Are there any other AC devices plugged in to outlets? A fault in any of those could trip a GFCI. It’s also possible that the boat is wired improperly and tying neutral to ground onboard, which could allow that imbalance.

Are you plugged into a 30A plug with a GFCI, or is it a 15/20A socket? Were the other outlets you’ve used successfully in the past GFCI equipped?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
A previous owner may have bonded the neutral wire (white) to the ground wire (green) somewhere. This needs to be repaired.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It could well be that the GFCI is faulty.

Another observation is that you didn't trip GFCIs when the boat was in the water, and now that it's dry, you do. I know, a bit more esoteric, but interesting.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
A previous owner may have bonded the neutral wire (white) to the ground wire (green) somewhere. This needs to be repaired.
I don't think the other GFCIs wouldn't have tripped were this the case.

May 17, 2004
I don't think the other GFCIs wouldn't have tripped were this the case.
I think it could be inconsistent depending on the quality of the connections on the boat and in the outlet. If the other outlets had really pristine neutral connectors and slightly corroded ground connectors, and the load was low enough, the imbalance could’ve stayed below the GFCI threshold. If this new outlet has a little corrosion on the neutral line or just really clean ground line it could be different.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I think it could be inconsistent depending on the quality of the connections on the boat and in the outlet. If the other outlets had really pristine neutral connectors and slightly corroded ground connectors, and the load was low enough, the imbalance could’ve stayed below the GFCI threshold. If this new outlet has a little corrosion on the neutral line or just really clean ground line it could be different.
I didn't know that. I thought these worked by detecting differences in the neutral and hot currents, via a transformer, and could detect differences as small as 5 to 10mA. I didn't think they looked at ground (green wire) current.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
If I understand the OP correctly, the only gfci that tripped was the one on shore. If you mistakenly join the neutral and ground wire they become a parallel circuit and will share any current in the circuit. As soon as you draw power the shore gfci will detect an imbalance between the hot wire and the neutral and will trip.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
If I understand the OP correctly, the only gfci that tripped was the one on shore. If you mistakenly join the neutral and ground wire they become a parallel circuit and will share any current in the circuit. As soon as you draw power the shore gfci will detect an imbalance between the hot wire and the neutral and will trip.
But he would have tripped the other ones assuming they were working properly.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Further, only newer marinas have gfcis on the dock pedestals. The OP may have been plugging into non gfcis until he ended up in the marina where he is now.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Further, only newer marinas have gfcis on the dock pedestals. The OP may have been plugging into non gfcis until he ended up in the marina where he is now.
That's a good point.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
So, to the O.P. - with the boat not connected to the shore power outlet, measure the resistance from the green-wire ground to neutral. Green-wire ground is the third prong ground, and neutral is the wider of the two slotted receptacles, and also the white wire. There should be infinite resistance. Anything less is a problem.

May 17, 2004
I didn't know that. I thought these worked by detecting differences in the neutral and hot currents, via a transformer, and could detect differences as small as 5 to 10mA. I didn't think they looked at ground (green wire) current.
You’re correct about what they detect. My point was just that if there’s enough resistance on the ground line compared to neutral, and if the overall load is low enough, then the amount of current taking the ground line (therefore bypassing the neutral line) might not exceed the imbalance threshold.

I agree with you and RoyS that lack of GFCI at the other places is more likely, and that you can test for ground/neutral connection on the boat the way you suggest.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
If you find that the neutral and ground wires are showing continuity between each other, first look at your engine block. You will likely find the neutral wire improperly bonded there. The neutral should not be connected to the engine block.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Also, Check the AC power inlet receptacles on the transom and the plugs on the AC power cables. I have had two prior experiences where the AC inlet had shorted or overheated. It will be obvious when you disassemble & inspect the receptacle. Removal and replacement with a new receptacle solved the problem. I had a reverse polarity indicator light and none of the 120 v GFCI receptacles would work.

Mar 19, 2022
Also, Check the AC power inlet receptacles on the transom and the plugs on the AC power cables. I have had two prior experiences where the AC inlet had shorted or overheated. It will be obvious when you disassemble & inspect the receptacle. Removal and replacement with a new receptacle solved the problem. I had a reverse polarity indicator light and none of the 120 v GFCI receptacles would work.

Mar 19, 2022
Thank you very much - you and everyone WITH Excellent suggestions for remedy. Copy your check on the transom connections/ will do!!

much appreciated.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Are you using any kind of adapter to plug into the GFCI that you didn’t use before?
dj

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
A GFI will trip if plugged into another GFI.

Is the outlet you are plugging into GFI protected?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
A GFI will trip if plugged into another GFI.
Is that so? I can't imagine why. Not an expert on this, just counterintuitive to me. If there's no imbalance in the first, why would there be in the second?