In Search of Product Info from our OverSeas Bothers/Sisters....

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
hopefully this is allowed here...

I am looking for a JDI JD-SB1 marine rated (white) extention speaker.... this unit seems to be much more common overseas than it is here.
it was originally built in taiwan, but I cannot seem to contact them so I assume they are out of business, yet the speaker may be being manufactured by someone else.
what is unique about it is that it is a marine rated, waterproof unit that has a volume knob on the speaker itself, so it can be remote mounted, yet be adjusted by the person at the listening end, rather than by the person at the radio....

or maybe there are enough bad reviews that will steer me away from these units...

In my particular case, my radio is mounted under the side deck at my chart table and I can change the channels from my microphone buttons, but there is no provision for adjusting the volume from the mic... so my helm speaker gets annoying at times. I could mount an on/off switch in line to the speaker, but this is not the solution im looking for. (there are a number of bridges in our area that need to be opened, and everyone of the operators seem to have a different power output on their radio, so one will blast us while another cant be heard without cranking up the volume)

maybe someone here is the states can point me to more common unit, but I have looked pretty hard and can not find a marine rated extension speaker with a volume control on the speaker itself.... and neither can I find a waterproof, marine rated volume control switch that is small enough so that I could mount it within a common speaker housing.... thanks for any thoughts and ideas

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Often when a product doesn't remain on the market, there is a problem with the product. I'd be concerned with a rotary volume control in a wet environment. Buttons (such as up/down controls) can be sealed. Not as easy with a potentiometer.

Ken

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Thank you for the replies.
Ive already seen the ines on ebay, but they are not the white ones, but the waterproof black models, and it says specifically, "for a saltwater enviroment, use the white model"....

And I would agree that push buttons may be better, but years before the industry started using push buttons, the rotary dial seemed to last for a long time.... and keep in mind that I dont plan to submerge it, but just have it splash proof..... and if it should ever get submerged, im sure the speaker will be the least of my worries....