In Reach

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Delorme, a company local to myself and a few other contributors has just been bought up by Garmin.
Delorme is well know for their State atlases, but what Garmin really wanted was the In Reach technology.

www.pressherald.com/.../yarmouth-based-mapmaker-delorme-sold-to-garmin /
I kind of doubt that. The inreach uses an off the shelf chipset that other companies use (yellow brick) to make almost identical products. DeLorme has no IP in this area. Garmin wants their maps and customers.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Hate to see it go.. I had fun there on a trip a few years ago .. the big rotating globe was really unique.. MAybe garmin will keep it funded

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I wonder how long until the current InReach devices are deemed "obsolete" and no longer supported by the big G? When my Map182C finally goes belly up, I am finding a different company to support. Yeah, the big G and I have had words before. The first time was when I upgraded the map on my automotive GPS. Big G took my money and then told me my device had insufficient memory to contain the map that was already paid for. And you can not get updates for the first generation datacards that my Map182 uses. Sorry, no third chance, big g.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
I kind of doubt that. The inreach uses an off the shelf chipset that other companies use (yellow brick) to make almost identical products. DeLorme has no IP in this area. Garmin wants their maps and customers.
I think you need to do a wee bit of research Jackdaw, Garmin have their own mapping, they do not have any two way communicating devices, this is a quick and easy way to break into the market. Delorme, also has a multi million dollar lawsuit outstanding against them for InReach product and may have been forced into this deal. My understanding is that the map store is closing but the giant globe is remaining and will continue to be open to the public.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I think you need to do a wee bit of research Jackdaw, Garmin have their own mapping, they do not have any two way communicating devices, this is a quick and easy way to break into the market. Delorme, also has a multi million dollar lawsuit outstanding against them for InReach product and may have been forced into this deal. My understanding is that the map store is closing but the giant globe is remaining and will continue to be open to the public.
;-)

Actually if you knew anything about me, you'd know I have a pretty good handle on the space. I know very well Garmins mapping capability. To my point, Inreach, Briartek, and Yellowbrick use the exact same chipset and the exact same contacted emergency service to build their product. Avoiding patent problems is a big part of designing these systems... I was the director of product development at Magellan; I know exactly the way that works. Give me $200k And I'll build it for you. But customers are the trick. That's what Garmin is buying.