In racing a Hunter Legend 35.5

NCBrew

Feb 22, 2010
Hunter Hunter Legend 35.5 9335 Albemarle Plantation, NC
In racing a Hunter Legend 35.5 where do you place the transmission using a Feathering prop.
Forward, Neutral or reverse

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
With our folding prop we quickly shift to reverse to stop the prop spinning and let it fold, then back to neutral. If I remember right the guidance for feathering props is similar. Like Ralph said for fixed props follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.

NCBrew

Feb 22, 2010
The transmission dictates the position when the engine is shut down.
When the engine is shut down, I dictate the position depending where I put the lever. Forward, neutral or reverse. Where should I put the lever?

NCBrew

Feb 22, 2010
With our folding prop we quickly shift to reverse to stop the prop spinning and let it fold, then back to neutral. If I remember right the guidance for feathering props is similar. Like Ralph said for fixed props follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
I may be wrong but when you shift to reverse, I don't think the prop folds flat, I think it goes to the reverse position.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace

NCBrew

Feb 22, 2010
To be clear I meant to shift to reverse after the engine is stopped. If you shift to reverse with the engine running it will go into the reverse position and try to slow the boat.

This is the process recommended by PYI for Max-Props at https://www.pyiinc.com/articles/at-pyi-we-take-customer-service-very-personality
My prop does not go flat.I believe my prop goes into a position that is like an airplane prop turns to a position that present no force. All 3 blades go to no twist position that does not provide force in any direction. Like all the blades go straight. People tell me to put it in reverse, but for my prop I don't believe that is correct. I will check the prop manual tomorrow when I get to the boat.