In Mast or Slab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 376 Oyster Bay, LI, NY
I think we've gotten off the point for in-mast v. slab and gotten into in-mast v. in-boom, which is fine. As long as we're comparing mast v. boom that I'll echo Rick's thoughts. With a jammed halyard, you're screwed with either slab reefing or boom furling. But it the furling mechanism seizes - and that's the issue between in-boom or in-mast - than I'd suggest you're much better off with in-boom for all the reasons mentioned in earlier responses. That was the only point I was trying to make.

In terms of needing an electric main halyard winch, I think most boats over 35 feet or so already ship out of the factory with that. My 1997 376 came that way and I love it. Captiva carry's a huge main and it would be a bear with a 'normal' winch. And yes, it's slab/single line reefing.

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 26X Phoenix AZ
Thank's all for your input. I believe the point that's swayed me is the short / inexperienced crew and ease of in mast even if the performance is not quite as good. Easy generally makes for more fun.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Scott:

I would agree that I have never had an issue with the main not coming down because of a "jammed" halyard on a traditional hoisted main.

I can tell you that I have had an issue with an IN-MAST unit. Fortunately our problem with with getting the main out of the mast (not in). Our original thought was that it was because the folks that used the boat before us did NOT furl it tight enough. Once we get it out we sailed for the day and made sure that we had it wrapped up tight when we put it away. The next day was the same thing.

The took the sail to the sail maker and it was determined that the sail was stretched and out of shape which caused the jamming.

If I was in the market for a furling main it would be an in boom unit too. I believe it leave you with a lot more options. Some of Bill's points are correct, but the ease of sailing sometimes out does the need for speed and proper trim.

Needless to say I am not a fan of the in-mast units but I can see the benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.