In-Mast Mainsail question

May 22, 2017
Catalina 310 Lake Carlyle
Fellow 310 owners/sail manufacturers
I've had my 310 for two years now and I have in-mast furling. I love it . There are maybe 10 boats with in-mast furling in my marina which located is in the midwest and have 4 seasons. In the spring and fall we can get a 45 degree temp change in a few hours and condensation can be excessive. Only one sailboat removes his main from the mast in the fall (and his genoa). The rest of us have left the main in the mast thru all seasons and remove only the genoa.

Recently I heard from a sail manufacturer that I should remove my main from the mast in the fall because of moisture which can cause mold. This surprised me because the main furls tightly in the mast. Also, I worry about the abundant mud doppers building nests in the spring inside the empty mast if I removed the main.

Im very interested in what you sailors/sail makers experienced with in-mast furling have to say about this.
Frank Hines
Hull #17 No Tippy
Lake Carlyle, Ill.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The sail lofts with whom I have spoken and asked that question of, both in New England and in Florida, recommend removing the sail and storing it in a dry environment.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
We remove both of our sails. In spring inspect mast/furling system, lube then install sail. No problems last 20 years.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I remove both of mine every year. Rain, snow, ice will still get into the mast and not dry with the main wound so tight. Does not take very long to drop the main in the fall then hoist again in the spring. Also gives you a chance to check over the sail stitching etc each year.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My friends with in-mast furling on their Hunter 33’s take their sails down in the off-season.

1 guy tried wrapping his mast and boom in some sort of sheet plastic (think Saran Wrap...but thicker).
Another guy tried putting painters tape along the opening in the mast.

Neither one as really successful at keeping dust and stuff out of the mast...and the painters tape was a real pain in the @$$ to get off after being stuck on all winter long.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
For years sail care has been :

when the boat is not in use remove, store dry, then raise again to sail again.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Sails should be rinsed (at the least) to remove salt and washed to remove organic dirts and material before storing for the off season. Salt attracts and hold moisture, and then mildew will grow on the dirt on the sails.

Salt crystals will abraid and cut threads.

Storing clean sails indoor in a dry place is a way to prevent mildew.(and prevent critters from nesting in the sails)

While you are at it, remove the sails and take them to a loft for inspection. Top stitch over any broken stitchs, patch over worn spots before they rip, etc. it will add years to your sails.

Judy B
Sailmaker

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Amazing Grace is in the Florida pan-handle. The boat is in the water year round. The main is in the mast and the Genoa on the fuller year round because the boat is sailed year round. I fully admit the weather this past Nov-Dec has not been conducive to sailing (raining or high winds when I was available to sail) and the boat has only been out 3 times over that span.

My issue is the green mold that grows on the shadow side of the dodger, bimini, and bottom of the main. That stuff is very difficult to remove!!!

Jun 25, 2004
Amazing Grace is in the Florida pan-handle. The boat is in the water year round. The main is in the mast and the Genoa on the fuller year round because the boat is sailed year round. I fully admit the weather this past Nov-Dec has not been conducive to sailing (raining or high winds when I was available to sail) and the boat has only been out 3 times over that span.

My issue is the green mold that grows on the shadow side of the dodger, bimini, and bottom of the main. That stuff is very difficult to remove!!!
Cleaning the canvas more frequently should stop mold from growing on it.

I presume it’s acrylic like Sunbrella. Green mold can not grow on acrylic unless there’s if there is something organic (such as dirt) embedded in it.

I would suggest hosing it off with a low pressure nozzle every time you’re at the boat. Wash periodically with gentle soap. After the first year in the Florida sun, renew the water proofing annual with AerospaceProtectant 303 (get the version for fabric, not the version for plastic and hard surfaces). This is the only product recommended by Sunbrella. It’s pricey,but it works,beautifully.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My issue is the green mold that grows on the shadow side of the dodger, bimini, and bottom of the main.
All of what @DrJudyB says and perhaps, changing the way you inter the slip occasionally. If you always come bow in, why not practice Stern in on occasion. This will allow one of the powerful free sources of bleach to work on the other half of your boat for a while.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I'm always stern in to facilitate getting on and off the boat.

I've done all the Sunbrella cleaning recommendations. There is a reason Florida is green. Mold loves heat and humidity.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Cleaning the canvas more frequently should stop mold from growing on it.

I presume it’s acrylic like Sunbrella. Green mold can not grow on acrylic unless there’s if there is something organic (such as dirt) embedded in it.

I would suggest hosing it off with a low pressure nozzle every time you’re at the boat. Wash periodically with gentle soap. After the first year in the Florida sun, renew the water proofing annual with AerospaceProtectant 303 (get the version for fabric, not the version for plastic and hard surfaces). This is the only product recommended by Sunbrella. It’s pricey,but it works,beautifully.
Judy, what’s the best way to clean sails or Sunbrella once it’s got mold/algae growing on it? Weak bleach And gentle scrubbing?

Thanks!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis

I always thought the green stuff on the lines and the canvas that you don't wash frequently enough is algae.

I notice that if you're offshore with saltwater washing the decks a bit. The algae seems to get reduced. If you just let the boat it in the sun and rain.

Amazing how going to weather for 16 to 20 hours will clean-up some sheets :^))) -- and even the soul (or sole, for that matter).

Jun 25, 2004
Use a really, really soft brush very gently. Soak rather than scrubbing hard. don’t brush over raw edges, they will unravel. After you’re finished and the canvas is dry, treat with Protectant 303.

Other than those tips, everything you need to know can be found here:

Nov 16, 2012
Use a really, really soft brush very gently. Soak rather than scrubbing hard. don’t brush over raw edges, they will unravel. After you’re finished and the canvas is dry, treat with Protectant 303.

Other than those tips, everything you need to know can be found here:

Thanks. I’ve read that info from Sunbrella. Last year I cleaned all of our dodger covers and used 303; it’s working great. Just brought the rest of the dodger home to replace the zippers, clean it, and spray with 303. I’ll remember to respray yearly now.

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 LaSalle, MI
I always remove my sails (I have in mast furling as well) and store them is a dry place. I treat the sails with kid gloves.

Nov 16, 2012
I ordered this cleaner from Sailrite. They say it’s ok to use on Sunbrella and sails. The bleach didn’t get rid of all the algae stains on my dodger, so I’m escalating.