in mast furling problems

Apr 9, 2004
2 380 carters creek
I have a hunter 380 2003 with in mast furling. Recently the sail is jamming while deploying the sail. Last time, it got stuck 3/4 of the way out and would not go out or in. Any ideas as to what is going on?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Be careful not to let the sail get blown out too much as you are unfurling it. If the wind catches it and it starts to unfurl unevenly then it will jam. Watch the leach as you unfurl and make sure it’s coming out of the slot, not getting caught. If it starts to get caught then stop and back up right away, then start over. Don’t keep trying to pull the jam out. Also be sure to have the right boom angle (probably just above 90 degrees) when both furling and unfurling. If your technique is basically the same as it has been and the problem is new then it’s possible the sail is aging and getting too full to furl nicely, and might be due for service or replacement.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
If you see crescent shaped wrinkles just up from the foot then the dacron has stretched and it will most likely cause problems while furling or unfurling. I moved to a laminate sail and can not tell you how much nicer it operates both furling and especially sailing. As Davidsailor26 mentioned watch your boom angle. There is an optimum angle at which the sail will furl and unfurl.

Oct 27, 2010
E-22 e-22 Stratford
I have a hunter 380 2003 with in mast furling. Recently the sail is jamming while deploying the sail. Last time, it got stuck 3/4 of the way out and would not go out or in. Any ideas as to what is going on?
I did a series of how to furl videos using a Beneteau 38...but everything is applicable. They are here: Neil Pryde Sailmakers
Bob Pattison
Neil Pryde Sails

Sep 29, 2012
Taswell 43 Center Cockpit currently the eastern Carrib
We had a similar issue with the in-mast furler on our Taswell 43.....it never jammed going in, but about 2 out of 5 times it would jam coming out. We found no good solution for several years...until 1 time it jammed completely and would not go in or out. We finally got back into port (Athens, Greece), called a local rigger, and he discovered the bearing in the upper swivel had completely frozen! He replaced the bearings, and we have not had an issue since, now some 9 years later. May be worth a check?

Nov 1, 2010
Hunter 45CC Punta Gorda Isles, FL
If the jamming happens closer to the masthead your problem may be lack of lubrication in the masthead spindle. I had the same problem until I read the manual (Selden) and found they recommend greasing all the spindles and gears every year, if possible. Major pain, but I followed the advice and haven't had a problem with jamming ever since. One more thing: If you don't climb the mast yourself, be sure whoever does actually does the job. I hired a rigger to do it the first time. He said he did it but he lied. I hired another rigger to do another job and asked him to take care of the lubrication while he was up there. He told me the bearings were dry as a bone and the spout on the tube of Selden grease wouldn't reach. Needless to say that was the same tube I gave the previous rigger. We ended up attaching an extension tube and that cured the problem.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Boom angle, halyard tension as well as out-haul and furling line tension were my original issues the first year I had my new boat with in-mast main furling. Now pretty smooth in and out.
Also, sail condition as stated above.

Good Luck!

Dec 23, 2013
Hunter 23.5 and 27, 2006 Redbud Marina
Hi, I have a Hunter 27 with in mast furling problems. The marina had to cut the sail out of the mast. I have a new sail and I've installed it twice, once raised it won't rotate. This boat has a unique hook shackle to attach head of the sail to the upper swivel, marina lost it. I can't find a replacement that works, been told the original is not available.
Reading the manual carefully I discovered the pre bend in my mast was more than recommended which may have been part of the problem.
Best Wishes!

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
I second JudyB’s comments about cleaning and lubricating the furling swivels. Almost no one does that, at least on the annual schedule recommended by Selden. It makes a world of difference.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
This past winter I dropped the mast and completely rebuilt the furling system including replacing the top swivel this has cured my in mast furling issues, system works very well now.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Has the boom angle changed? Do you keep tension on the outhaul while furling? Tension on the furling line while unfurling?

As BoatNic says, too much prebend can cause this. Common with a Hunter’s B&R rig. if you sight up the mast it should be straight or have only a small bend forward in the middle. If the bend is substantial have a rigger tune the rig to straighten the mast.