IN-MAST FURLING MAINSAIL

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Dr. if you are going to do it yourself you will need to have someone down working the furler in and out while you work the jam out using the tool pictured. A bad jam will take a little bit. You will need to make the tool. It takes a 4" paint scraper with the edges rounded and no sharp edges. Work it into the furler at the folds which are causing the jam. Good luck!

Attachments

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
How do I Dunham a mainsail that is REALLY JAMMED into the mast?
What's a Dunham?

I don't claim to be an expert on furling mains, having only 2 seasons with them, but on the rare occasion I've had an issue unfurling due to a jammed sail I've re-furled carefully and slowly to ensure what's in the mast is wrapped as tightly as prudent without putting undue stress on anything (e.g. using an electric winch handle). That usually helps give me enough room to gently tease out what's wrinkled.

Alternately, get a rigger to fix it to ensure minimal damage is done, and then to help you figure out what's causing the jam and fixing it so it doesn't happen again. Either way, I'd definitely focus intently on what's causing the jam after you get the sail down. Lots of info here on what to check.

Best of luck.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
As you work it in and out from the bosum chair ware gloves. The sail material is abrasive. I wore my fingers raw the last time I had to do that.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
my sailmaker uses a pair of welding vicegrips - flat jaws - to work the sail out

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
How do I Dunham a mainsail that is REALLY JAMMED into the mast?
Ditto seadaddler and Nodak7.................Go to the mast and wench the sail in/out with the reefing winch, while someone is up in a bosun chair pulling the sail out. n Its a long process. Be sure to have plenty of beer and cash to pay your helpers!!

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
tensioning the rod kicker helps to keep the luff tight. thé sail has to furl in anti-clockwise...

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I found the answer to make the furling work better, a new sail! My sails were 20 years old and didn't realize their stretching affected furling the main. My new main works great. Had the new sail coated with sailkote which is suppose to help as well.

Feb 21, 2013
Ditto Sailgunner........had both my new partial battened and original 2004 nonbattened main sails treated with sailrite by vacuflash to improve furling on my Hunter 386 last year (then I sold the boat).

Jan 29, 2010
Hunter 38 Ocean Gate, NJ
Speaking of in mast furling mainsails: What is the roller called that is in the aft end of the mainsail around which the outhaul travels? Anyhow, I just noticed that mine is cracked all the way around. I don't see how the axle for that wheel comes out to replace it. Any ideas?

Feb 21, 2013
.............What is the roller called that is in the aft end of the mainsail around which the outhaul travels? Anyhow, I just noticed that mine is cracked all the way around. I don't see how the axle for that wheel comes out to replace it. Any ideas?
You must be referring to the "donut". My donut cracked last year after 14 years so I purchased a new one from a Selden dealer. Order a selden boom outhaul donut part number 319-723. See page 11 of the attached manual part B-9. To replace it, simply sew a tag line on the outhaul in the cockpit and pull it through, replace the donut then then pull the tag line through back to the cockpit. Take a photo of the donut's orientation before you do that so you install the new donut the same way as the original. I would NOT substitute the Selden donut for another as it will not fit up the same. I learned that lesson when my local rigger sold me one of his and I had to do this process twice.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I find the best way to unjam my main when it is stuck in the mast is to take a winch handle up to the mast along with a second person ...I turn the winch handle slowly to unwind the sail while looking up to to see if the sail is jamming in the slot up above.... while the second person pulls on the foot of the sail close to the mast... when it jams in the slot above you use the winch handle to roll the sail in until the sail is no longer stuck sticking out of the slot ... when the jam is back in the mast start rolling out again while the other person pulls the foot out ... you'll go back and forth a few times but you will slowly win