In-mass furling on 376

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 376 Pt Robert
I am replacing my mainsail on Hunter 376 because it has stretched to the point where it pleats as it retracts into the in mast furling slot. Is there anyone who can advise as to the gauge of the feeding slot and the ideal thickness of the sail fabric to facilitate problem-free in-hauling. les_rose@hotmail.com

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
yes go with a laminate sail. They don't stretch and perform much better than dacron. The are stronger and yet are thinner than dacron. Because they don't stretch and are thinner they furl and unfurl exceptionally well. They are a bit higher priced but I have been delighted with mine. Of course if you go to a big house they might try to talk you into a cross weaved dacron but don't do it. Just my humble opinion, except for the furling properties, that's just fact.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 376 Pt Robert
yes go with a laminate sail. They don't stretch and perform much better than dacron. The are stronger and yet are thinner than dacron. Because they don't stretch and are thinner they furl and unfurl exceptionally well. They are a bit higher priced but I have been delighted with mine. Of course if you go to a big house they might try to talk you into a cross weaved dacron but don't do it. Just my humble opinion, except for the furling properties, that's just fact.
I have committed to laminate.....which is a step in the right direction from the Dacron sails the boat came with. The issue is the thickness; how thin do I go without significantly impacting the longivity of the sail? The sail that I am presently using came with the boat and appears to be quite thick. Thanks for the reply,

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
What does the sailmaker say? They probably know more about sails than anyone on this site. Since you are committed to laminate already get your maker to answer your questions. My limited experience left me to trust my sailmaker (Mac Sales) and have felt comfortable with my final decision. That's about the best you can do. Good luck!

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Sorry it's been a while. Just moved south, the retirement police, you know. Sailm8 is correct, default to the sail makers decision for the weight of your boat. This is what I went with, Tri-Radial CLP Laminate Main.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
................ideal thickness of the sail fabric to facilitate problem-free in-hauling
Cost effective 10 ounce dacron is what I replaced on my Hunter 386. Avoid battens for trouble-free furling unless you are very careful when furling in/out. I had partial battens on my Hunter 386 main sail and was really careful furling in/out.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
The problem with Dacron is the stretch. And it stretches quick. It's rubbery like a cheap out haul line and certain lines as well as your sail material should be low stretch. Until I put laminates on the boat I could never flatten the foot of the main. The foot is just over 18 feet and you need a low stretch sail and low stretch out haul in certain airs to get the sail shape you need for the boat to perform. Just MHO.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA