In gear or not under sail?

Nov 3, 2016
Catalina 30 Destin
I have an 88 Catalina 30 TR no bowsprit. I was told that when under sail and motor not running I should shift it to reverse. What do you do? Oh this is the Universal M 225 xp motor. Thanks.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not sure what the lack of a bowsprit has to do with it, but you need to know what the transmission manufacturer recommends for you specific tranny.

On my O’Day 322 with a Yanmar 2GM20 engine and Kanzaki KM2P transmission, I put mine in neutral and let the prop and shaft free spin.n

Greg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Do what the engine manufacturer recommends. It can vary by makes. Yanmar not too long ago shifted their recommendation from locking in reverse to prefer freewheeling. Locking into reverse had some problems, 1) greater drag, 2) having to slow the boat down to shift out of gear. Yanmar transmissions are constant mesh which means all gears are always spinning and receive lubrication whether driven by the engine or the propeller. Contact your manufacturer for the latest update on their recommendation.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
with your engine you probably have a hurth transmission. before they went out of business i had a talk with them and they advised that since reverse is the only positive gear - which keeps the prop fom spinning with the engine off and polishing the clutches under sail - to always sail in reverse. i have no idea about other boats or transmissions, but i don't care and neither need you.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Sandy
From your year I’d suspect that you have a Hurth 50 or 100 transmission on your M25XP in your C30. I posted hurth manuals online both at the IC30A forum (c’mon over and give us a test spin? There’s 1600+ members experience to tap into)
https://groups.io/g/catalina30
and on the C34.org > TechWiki > “Manuals” topic.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
For the Hurth gear on an M-25 it is either neutral or lock it in reverse. Do not leave gear in forward when sailing..

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Pop quiz for Hurth owners.

You are in a finger slip on the US side of the Niagara River (in line with 3-6 knot current above the Falls). IN WHAT position do you leave your transmission?

Jun 2, 2018
Catalina 28 mk ii Port Orchard
You are in a finger slip on the US side of the Niagara River (in line with 3-6 knot current above the Falls). IN WHAT position do you leave your transmission?
Reverse. Regardless of what direction the current is flowing by your boat.