In Boom Outhaul

Mar 11, 2014
Does anyone have a diagram of this rig in the boom. Jibed the boat yesterday and the line parted. Opened the back of the boom and clearly it separated from the exposed end that was in the Sun... Once again the splices on the lines can't handle UV.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Hi Drew. My boom is a Kenyon so I don't know if you have the same system, but it seems pretty common. As per the attached picture, the steel line going through the end of the boom to the outhaul is attached to a block and tackle rig (left side of picture). On my boom, the Internal Outhaul Tackle a 4-1 purchase. Block and Tackle assembly includes 25' of 5/16" line and 13' of 1/8" wire spliced to the Blocks. Becket block attaches to bolt at forward end of boom, line exits through centerline gooseneck sheave, wire exits through centerline sheave in outhaul assembly. The bolt securing the forward boom bail runs through the shackle of the other block (right side of picture), securing the rig to the inside of the boom. The outhaul line goes to the forward end of the boom and exits in the center. In my case, I have it running through a block at the bottom of the mast then to the cockpit through deck organizers. Hope this helps. (FYI Étarque is French for Outhaul)

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for the info. I believe its more simple like this one without the added purchase. I could be wrong as I really can't see there. Any one with a seldon mast/ boom know?
1615761909451.png

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Thanks for the info. I believe its more simple like this one without the added purchase. I could be wrong as I really can't see there. Any one with a seldon mast/ boom know?
View attachment 191518
Exactly same principle but with a 2-1 purchase instead of my 4-1. If you can open up the front end of the boom you'll see where th end of the line is attached.

Last edited:

PMK

Dec 3, 2016
Catalina 275S Annapolis, MD
Are you sure that the outhaul line is broken? Two years ago in high wind and max outhaul tension my outhaul line popped. I thought is had broken. I remove the boom end, fished out the line and found it intact. It had released from the open hook outhaul car. I reattached it, installed a replacement retention washer of appropriate thickness (which was not easy to source) and all has been fine since. You will need to make sure that the nylon washer fitted under the outhaul car hook is thick enough to retain the outhaul line. Another option that I've considered is to attach the outhaul line to a small shackle and secure the shackle under the outhaul hook.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Tried to help by looking at the downloads for a Catalina 275. see link
https://catalina.sailboatowners.com/dl/downloads.php?task=model&mid=275&model=275

what I get is
Downloads for the Pearson 42
Sorry! There are currently no downloads available for this model.

Mar 11, 2014
Are you sure that the outhaul line is broken? Two years ago in high wind and max outhaul tension my outhaul line popped. I thought is had broken. I remove the boom end, fished out the line and found it intact. It had released from the open hook outhaul car. I reattached it, installed a replacement retention washer of appropriate thickness (which was not easy to source) and all has been fine since. You will need to make sure that the nylon washer fitted under the outhaul car hook is thick enough to retain the outhaul line. Another option that I've considered is to attach the outhaul line to a small shackle and secure the shackle under the outhaul hook.
Very sure it popped as the end piece was laying in the end of the boom when I opened it up. What I need to figure out is exactly what it is connected to. It is either connected to a Block or to a an internal car. I've seen diagrams for each. I have tried to look in there but just can't get the viability to verify what exactly is in there. I need some an orthoscopy scope for this surgery.

When I try and pull the aft end of the out haul out, as the piece remaining piece was actually long enough to reach and retie to the outhaul car, the aft line can't come back past a point as its connecting block or car remains about 3 or four feet in even though the line coming out the front of the boom is completely slack. That's leaving me to feel like there is some kind of car in there and its prohibited from coming back for some reason or another.

Given these boats have been out for 10 years + some one must have replaced this line? If so what did you do?

Jul 24, 2018
Catalina 275 36 Sydney Harbour
Does anyone have a diagram of this rig in the boom. Jibed the boat yesterday and the line parted. Opened the back of the boom and clearly it separated from the exposed end that was in the Sun... Once again the splices on the lines can't handle UV.
Selden B104 4:1 my guess
IMG_20210320_090643.jpg

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have the same setup as Claude has in a Kenyon boom. Both he and I have a steel wire connecting to the sail clew. That eliminates any concern from UV deterioration. You need not copy your original design. One possible reason that you cannot extract your block assembly (if used) is due to bail fastening bolts passing entirely through your boom. Simply pull them out and the block assembly should slide out. BTW I believe the sketch above to have an error in the line path near the lower end.

Mar 11, 2014
Here is the drawing from the 275 owners manualView attachment 191823
Thanks for the diagram... When I was in there I fixed the arrangement for the reef line it didn't have the second sheave at the bottom of the boom end... . But from this really can't tell how the out haul works. I do know there is no block behind the Internal Reefing car. I'm assuming that Block is for the Outhaul and on my boat is some how in front of the car. Hmmm.

Mar 11, 2014
I have the same setup as Claude has in a Kenyon boom. Both he and I have a steel wire connecting to the sail clew. That eliminates any concern from UV deterioration. You need not copy your original design. One possible reason that you cannot extract your block assembly (if used) is due to bail fastening bolts passing entirely through your boom. Simply pull them out and the block assembly should slide out. BTW I believe the sketch above to have an error in the line path near the lower end.
No bail fasteners through this boom, as far as I can see, as it has internal reefing cars that travel inside... thanks

PMK

Dec 3, 2016
Catalina 275S Annapolis, MD
With reefing lines and outhaul line slack, can you pull out the outhaul line and the reefing car from the aft end of the boom? If not, access to the outhaul line may be from the forward end of the boom.

I've been having problems keeping my outhaul line on aft hook of the outhaul car. It pops off easily. So I'm considering eliminating the car. I'll attach the outhaul line directly to a shackle on the clew. The clew is secured to the boom with a velcro strap. Has anyone tried this arrangement and found it to work well, or has anyone switched to an outhaul car that securely attaches to the outhaul line?