In-boom Main Furling

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George Kornreich

Has anyone installed an in-boom roller furning main conversion? I'd like to hear about any such installations. What brand? Costs? Happy with it? Any problems? Thanks.

T

tom

Which is better,in boom or in mast main furling

Which is better, in boom or in mast main furling

E

Ed Schenck

Cruising World, current issue reviews. . . .

the four major manufacturer's furling booms. It's clear, I think, from the article that boom-furling is superior to mast-furling. Hope this doesn't start anything.

P

Pete Burger

In-boom furling

George, we've got to stop meeting like this! I've just installed a Furlboom system on my 430. Looked at length at the other two systems, Leisure Furl and Profurl, but I was advised (by them) that neither could be installed on the curved mast that we have. Furlboom was installed (creatively) without too much trouble. Difficulty was that the long extrusion that was attached for the whole length of the mast, and onto which the sail rode had to be removed. Since this long piece is installed in the slot when the mast was build, this was not an easy task. Yard solved the problem by taking then boat to a construction site that had one of these huge cranes, and they pulled the piece out from the top of the mast. Have just finished the installation, so have not had much time to use it. Angle of the boom to the mast is critical, and I'm still in the fine-tuning phase. Will have to let you know. By the way, I assume you know you'll also need a new main! Pete Burger S/V KAILANI

L

larry templeton

we just installed a profurl

In late August the pro-furl in-boom furling installation on our 450 was completed. We have perhaps 10-12 hrs on it now. Both hoisting and furling are easy (we have an electric winch). No snags so far. We had a new sail made and performance seems good. Total cost including sail was about $14k. The book says no operation with any wind pressure on the sail, but we're still exploring the limits on this. Pro-furl supplied a boom-brake which is desirable but this one seems to be useless because it appears impossible to rig correctly. We plan to rig a preventer. We're happy to have the roachy sail and full battens and to have all the workings at boom-level.

G

George Kornreich

Thanks, Pete and Larry...

I'd love to have an update as you guys get some time on the systems. Larry, how did you overcome the problem Pete mentioned about not being able to install the ProFurl on the curved mast (I think the 450 also has a similarly shaped mast)? George

A

Alex

Curved mast is a bigger problem for

..for in-mast furling. From theoretical point of view , in boom furling is better , as it makes for better performance/mainsail shape(1. battens 2.roach 3.not flat shaped) , for better stability ( the CE moves directly down when reefing in strong wind , not maily forward) and for better safety ( if it get stucked , you should still be able to lower the sail). I hope the technical snags will be sorted out to enable in boom furling to become as popular as in-mast furling. 20-30 years ago , a simple version of in-boom , was the only system available for small-medium sized boats , at least in Europe, but sufisticated newer sails and new-trendy-in-mast furling , brought this systems to a complete stop.

G

George Kornreich

Hi, Pete, Me again!

When you refered to the "curved mast," is the problem with the vertical curve (the pre-bend) or with the cross section curvature? Thanks.

P

Pete Burger

In boom furling

George, it's the vertical curviture - i.e. if you look up the mast from the deck, you'll see that the top of the mast curves towards the stern.

T

Tom Algow

Hunter 34 Boom Furling

Excellent discussion. However, I have talked to several manufacturers including profurl who told me it could not be done because of the pre-bend. Or maybe it is that the 1984 Kenyon rig does not appear to have the removeable track as did Pete Burgers 430. Anyone have a contact with a manufacturer or experience with a 34?

Status
Not open for further replies.