Impeller Puller

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Has anyone found an impeller puller for the raw water pump on a Yanmar 2GM20F? I recently replace my original water pump with a
#JPR-YM08IH JMP Marine Yanmar Replacement Engine Cooling Pump (Replaces Yanmar 128397-42500, 128990-42500 / Johnson 10-24509-01, 10-13337-01) which has a split shaft and uses an impeller with a bar across the diameter of the impeller sleeve rather than a key like the old pump. It was a pain to get it to slide down the split shaft. There is no way it can be removable in adverse conditions. A puller would make the job at least possible.
There are all kinds of big pullers but this is a relatively small opening. I received no reply from the seller of the new pump.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Sorry I will be of no help to you in your quest for locating a puller. However, the impeller/pump on the 3YM30 seems to be of a similar description as yours. I remove the impeller using a pair of angle channel lock pliers. Open the plier jaws to the approximately the diameter of the impeller hub and put a jaw on each side of the hub where the pin lies. Pulling perpendicular (but not squeezing the hub) and rocking it slightly back and forth the impeller will come out with little trouble. Jump ahead to approximately 02:30 mark n this video.

YouTube Impeller Video

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Sailm8 Not sure how your pump is oriented. Mine requires me to slide my 'svelte' body onto of the engine beneath the floor of the cockpit to have 2 hands to position a right angle pair of long nosed pliers on the impeller and pull in line with the shaft.

Do it correctly and the impeller slides right off. Do it in any other fashion and you will be struggling for a long time. :yikes:

I suspect with some practice this will become like any other boat task routine as long as you can remember how you did it last time.

With regard to pullers, I have tried several on my impeller all were less than satisfactory. It is conceivable a puller could be designed to do the job. The ones I tried all failed and worried me that I could be marring the inside of the pump.

If you find the magic, please share.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
On my Yanmar the pump is backward adding an extra bit of fun. The easiest method is to pull the two mounting bolts and twist the pump so it faces you. This only leaves you with one hand to work with. I usually remove the hoses but have done it both ways. It helps if it is red hot too.
I'm liking the channel locks more and more.

• Ha
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I use some right angle needle nose pliers on my impellers. I’ve learned to grease the shaft to help the next time.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We solved the problem by having two pumps. Three bolts, two hoses and it's off, to later change the impeller, and slip the other one on, and we are underway again. Most times we don't even have to change the gasket of which we have many spares.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I use a pair of Bent Nose Pliers (right angle as "all you get" suggests). Mine have a 1 1/2 " reach. These can be use in both directions, with a little ambidextrous hand motion. To remove my impeller I push the tips against the inner sides of the impeller and pull up. It spans the iner bar across the diameter and once up I grab the bar and pull up until it's out.
There in there pretty tight so it does take a little effort but with this tool you'll be done real fast.

It's also perfect for my Mercury 3.5 Outboard. If you remove the lower gear housing to replace the impeller in there, it's next to impossible to get your fingers inside the 1 1/2 inch grommet hole to hold the two halves of the linkage connector and hold a ratchet and tighten the bolt.

It has a good heavy duty spring which helps too.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
jabsco used to make a very nice small dimension impeller puller that worked quite well on my yan 3jh 4e. until i lost it.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
We had a boat donated to us that had a battery terminal puller in a box with spare impellors. Always intended to check to see if that'd work.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Well timed post. Yesterday, we needed to change the impeller on the genset. 10 minutes to take off the old, ten minutes to put on the new and we were back in business.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Just a word of caution when trying to get the old, stuck impeller out...

the pump housing metal is very soft, so don’t pry on the edge of pump body with a tool. Especially on the edge where the cover seals or the impeller rides.

I had a very stuck impeller on a previous boat (Yanmar 2GM20F motor) and came close to needing to purchase a new pump. Luckily stopped trying to pry the impeller out with a screw driver, needle nose pliers, etc and just brought the pump home where I could work on it properly.

Greg

• Helpful
Nov 5, 2020
Hunter Legend 35.5 port charlotte
Has anyone found an impeller puller for the raw water pump on a Yanmar 2GM20F? I recently replace my original water pump with a
#JPR-YM08IH JMP Marine Yanmar Replacement Engine Cooling Pump (Replaces Yanmar 128397-42500, 128990-42500 / Johnson 10-24509-01, 10-13337-01) which has a split shaft and uses an impeller with a bar across the diameter of the impeller sleeve rather than a key like the old pump. It was a pain to get it to slide down the split shaft. There is no way it can be removable in adverse conditions. A puller would make the job at least possible.
There are all kinds of big pullers but this is a relatively small opening. I received no reply from the seller of the new pump.
I’m trying to decide between this jmp pump snd the Johnson pump. Has this pump worked well for you? Seems like it’s difficult to find replacement parts

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
How about a battery terminal puller? They make a variety of models, and that's about the right size.

Alternatively, check out your local fabricator for a custom tool. The folks I've worked with have engineer brains without the BS degree (take that as you wish). If you show them a photo and some dimensions (and have cash available for them to play with a few tries), you probably will get just what you want. Offer to sell it back to Yanmar to make up for your investment!

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Windsurfer,
My boat has a Johnson pump and what I like about it is that it has an “o-ring“ seal on the cover rather than a gasket. When I bought the impellers they came with a couple of spare “o-rings”.
I resort to taking the pump off because of the backward mounting on the Yanmar. It just makes life easier.
I like the idea of carrying a complete spare pump