Impeller parts are here, now what?

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
New parts here, now what???
Actually, I am semi competent mechanically, you yung un`s wouldn`t know about this but I used to gap my own points and plugs....
Wait a minute.. might not be so many yung uns here...:D
I do want to know if I should be using permatex on the new gaskets or leave them dry. Most are paper, one is actually a metal plate.
I read the MS tutorial, I think it mentioned Vaseline on the blades, gonna do that.
With new straight blades I assume direction is not an issue.
Don`t have the case opened yet, I expect all will be revealed when that occurs.

Attachments

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Throw a pair of calipers on your old vs new impeller...I was having water flow issues, and found the new impeller was not thick enough (0.020) Believe it or not, that was enough to cause flow issues. I put the old back on, and all was well.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I just use the paper gaskets, never added anything. Oberdorfer.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
If you change out the stainless cup, just get ahold of it with your needle-nose pliers and deform it enough to yank it out.
I was afraid to do so a few months ago, just seemed animalistic.

Sometimes, that's what it takes. ;)

Oh, and now buy another repair kit to keep on the boat.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I read the MS tutorial, I think it mentioned Vaseline on the blades, gonna do that.
Probably not Vaseline, water based impellor lubes are usually preferred, a little tube is sometimes included with new impellors.

Jul 13, 2010
Well, not in this kit but I`ll get some. Thanks.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Probably not Vaseline, water based impellor lubes are usually preferred, a little tube is sometimes included with new impellors.
Not Vaseline glycerin from the drug store. The impeller pump guys charge about 1000% more for the same glycerin you can buy at the drug store....

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If you put anything on the paper gaskets, you'll have to scrape them off next time, maybe scratch the faces, then you'll have to use the sealant and scrape from now on. The paper gaskets are a pain but they usually don't leak.

Jul 13, 2010
MS thanks for chiming in. I reread your info today and did NOT see Vaseline there, my mistake, sorry about that.