Impeller change

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I’m in the middle of a rewire update and have the alternator off. I decided to take advantage of the room and change out the impeller. Not an easy project (Yanmar 54hp)even with the added room. Just curious how long in time or hours before we’re looking at a rebuild or replace project?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
What engine do you have? I have the 4JH4E and impeller housing is pretty accessible with or without alt. In regards to a rebuild, all depends. My last boat with a yanmar 3HM35F had original still going strong at 32 years and that was belt driven versus cam driven on my new engine. I am not anticipating any rebuild anytime soon...... but you never know I guess.

Greg

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
I believe it’s the 4JH3TE. The pump it tucked on the port side. Not sure how accessible it is from the rear of the engine but facing aft made it tough. It’s done but I wouldn’t want to do that at sea. Glad to hear these are more robust than the Sherwood that was on my Catalina. Once the alternator is installed it’s not to accessible.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Scott,
Great write up although I think I will keep it as it is. I will replace the impeller when I'm on the hard each winter. The alternator was off and I was able to take advantage of that. I did remove the hoses too which helps. i definitely wouldn't want to do that in a rough sea but I'm not a full time cruiser either. I used a mirror and found the hardest part was actually trying to pull the impeller out with a needle nose pliers and picking out the o-ring. I'll have to look into the impeller puller.Again thanks!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
SpeedSeal Life:

The cover slots on to two knurled hand tightened bolts, all you need to do the job in 10 minutes (I'm doing it now!) is this:

The SpeedSeal Life has a rotating Teflon bearing on the cover that greatly reduces heat and wear on the impeller.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
We put in a speedseal and really like it. Cuts down on the friction and makes changing the impeller very fast.