Impact driver on window screws?

Dec 29, 2020
Catalina 30 Berkeley
We need to reseal our windows and some of the screws don't want to come out. My go-to solution is to use an impact driver, but I'm worried about the hammering causing damage to the boat in some way. One the one hand, I want to believe that the wall of the doghouse is strong enough to take a little hammering. On the other hand, I've screwed up a lot of things in my life, and would prefer that this not be one of them. Any thoughts on whether the impact driver will do damage? If so, any thoughts on how to get the screws out?

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I had the same problem with some of the screws on my Cat-22 windows They are aluminium frames with stainless screws. I love impact drivers but thought that a little extreme. I used my Makita drill driver to remove the screws by setting the chuck to the screw position, and setting the tension to a 5 out of 12. I used a new, not worn out philips bit, pushed hard into the screw head and let the motion of the slipping chuck loosen the screws. The clutch will slip and ratchet when there is too much tension and it acts like a light weight impact driver. On the more difficult ones I increased the tension all the way to 12 one number at a time. I was able to get them all out with no damage and was able to re-use the screws. Hope this helps. Dano

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Any thoughts on whether the impact driver will do damage? If so, any thoughts on how to get the screws out?
I have used a drill, using the adjustable screw tension feature. It acts like a weak impact driver. Reduced power and lees chance to strip the screw head. Yet that has happened. Then you need to resort to a drill and a tool like this,

IMG_4141.jpeg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you are using an impact driver, I don’t think you will do damage to the boat (the screw heads may get worse though).
IMG_2059.jpeg

If you are using a hammer drill

IMG_2056.jpeg

or one of these bad boys,

IMG_2057.jpeg

Then all bets are off :yikes:

Greg

Dec 29, 2020
Catalina 30 Berkeley
Thanks for these replies. Greg, I should clarify that I meant a manual rather than power impact driver, the kind you hit with a hammer. Do you think the boat will stand up to the hammering?

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
These are probably #10 screws. Takes a little practice to drill the SS screw and not let the drill walk to the aluminum. I would not consider the manual hammer drill approach. I have seen good success with the battery powered impact drills though. These are probably phillips head screws. So, any method depends on significant force into the screw head to minimize rounding the phillips cross. You may indeed break the heads off but after you remove the port, you can deal with the screws on the bench. They could even be Helicoiled if the thread damage is severe. There are threads posted here about remounting. My practice is to mount with 3M double stick window tape and seal with Dow 795 or similar. The screws, I believe are there to hold things in place only.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks for these replies. Greg, I should clarify that I meant a manual rather than power impact driver, the kind you hit with a hammer. Do you think the boat will stand up to the hammering?
Yes, I think so…maybe.

but be careful about hitting the frames with the hammer.

I would be more comfortable with an impact driver.

Greg

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have found that an impact driver will do less damage to the screws than will a hand screw driver or drill. As for any damage to the fiberglass house, the impact driver only impacts on the rotational force being applied so it would not affect the fiberglass at all.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
We need to reseal our windows and some of the screws don't want to come out. My go-to solution is to use an impact driver, but I'm worried about the hammering causing damage to the boat in some way. One the one hand, I want to believe that the wall of the doghouse is strong enough to take a little hammering. On the other hand, I've screwed up a lot of things in my life, and would prefer that this not be one of them. Any thoughts on whether the impact driver will do damage? If so, any thoughts on how to get the screws out?
I have set the clutch loose on the battery drill screw setting and kind of used that as a low impact, impact driver. Not specifically on what you're doing, but similar situations

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
I have also used a manual impact driver, the impact keeps the driver in place and the impact creates torque. Having said that I use a modest hammer and modest swing. You will know with a few taps if it is going to work. I have not tried the drill driver but it does sound like that has promise as well if you fear a heavy touch.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
My 45 year old hand held impact driver, that I purchased to work on motorcycles, has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaurs. With the proliferation of battery operated drills & impact drivers, most mechanics have evolved to using them. Time = $$ saved!

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
Big Easy, well I guess I am a bit old school and tend to use what has always worked for me. I guess I never tried it like that but will give it a shot. I guess I would have just turned the torque up and stripped out the bite, but doing it seems worth giving it a shot! But having said that, not all methods work for all people either.