Imagine my surprise

Cmackg

May 5, 2018
Macgregor 25 Home
I keep my 86 Mac 25 in a funky little marina in Deale, Md. It's the closest Chesapeake to my house. So this past Sunday, I went down to finish up my season preps, and around the corner I see -- another Mac 25. Roughly the same age, but he's got what looks like an original pop-top enclosure in white fabric. Guy wasn't around, so I didn't catch his name. Marina owner says he got tired of loading and unloading the trailer, so he decided to rent a slip. Hopefully we'll get to meet in person this season. My pop top cover is an old tent that I hacked up, I went for a dynamic look vs his toned-down style.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Interesting how you positioned the bimini top - sort of an extension to the pop-top.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
Am I crazy or are the Mac 25's literally just a lazarette shorter than a 26? Do they differ greatly below deck?

Apr 11, 2020
Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
CMACKG, Have you contacted Blue Water Marine in Seattle. They are pretty much the go to for Venture/Mac stuff. Also, when you catch up with the other 25 owner, maybe you could ask him to let you take his down to a local upholstery place and they could make one. Thinking if BWM has what you need, it would probably be a better price?? Good luck.

Apr 11, 2020
+1 on Blue Water Yachts. www.bwyachts.com. Todd McChesney and company are great folks, and are generous with their time and expertise. Prices are VERY reasonable. Highly recommended.

Cmackg

May 5, 2018
Macgregor 25 Home
Oh yeah, BWY has gotten lots of my money already, lol. I had the old tent hanging around, the poles were trashed, so I enjoyed making my own tent/popup cover. As for space inside -- let's be honest, these are glorified campers as it is. I'm working the skills and cash up to when I can get something more cozy inside -- 35-42 feet is my goal. But until then, I have the Mac and a 10 foot dinghy to get my sailing chops in.

Apr 11, 2020
Agree with your glorified campers comment. I have been really impressed with how space is maximized on the 26s. A bigger boat would be great, but it would come with the option of taking it to another lake for the weekend, not to mention being able to haul it out without paying big bucks.

Cmackg

May 5, 2018
Macgregor 25 Home
Not gonna get in to pluses and minuses for defending boat choices.... I like leaving my boat in a slip and getting going in 10 minutes, just saying.

Apr 11, 2020
No intention of putting you on the defensive. Wish you the best in all your sailing endeavors!

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
Am I crazy or are the Mac 25's literally just a lazarette shorter than a 26? Do they differ greatly below deck?
The biggest difference for me was that the 26 has the large aft berth queen size bed instead of having to reconfigure the dinette in the 25' & smaller boats for sleeping. We're a family of five with older teens and we all fit when we camp out on the water. The lazarette is a huge plus too.