I'm very worried about this news I just found.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It must be our Ode to Joy,....

I'm glad Joe and crew got off safely. From any news accounts I can find, she sunk quickly, a matter of minutes.

There's some confusion as to whether they were going in or trying to get out, possibly after seeing the conditions. Someone nearby thought they were in fact inside the inlet.

There was little to no time to do anything from what I gather.

I would surmise they only headed into this inlet as there were crew or mechanical problems onboard. The weather was nasty with east winds somewhere around 20knots, maybe more, fog, dusk or darkness, and of course the currents exacerbating things in the vicinity with dangerous seas. It sounds like a nasty spot that night.

Joe, if you read this, I'm very sorry. You put so much into that boat, and did it well. I can't imagine how devastated you, and your family, must be. Y

I'm glad you're safe, it's only a boat.

Tom

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Here's what happened to Joe and Ode to Joy.

Joe posted this on a sailing forum I frequent. It was surprising and refreshing to see such a candid report of how things went wrong for the boat and crew. A heartbreaking account.

http://cruising.sailboatowners.com/csbb ... -happened/

I am owner and skipper of sunken vessel Ode to Joy. I came across this thread today, and thank you for the knowledgable and kind remarks. As a mariner, I offer this explanation that you may learn from my mistake.

We arrived at Barnegat Inlet from North about 430 pm, last Thursday after long day sailing down from NYC. Winds were easterly, moderate 10-15 knots, lumpy rough seas, mist and light rain. Low tide, just before slack. In last 30 minutes before arrival, visibility decreased to less than 1 mile as fog thickened, and we dropped all sail but a heavily reefed jib and proceeded under power.

We had paper charts, handheld GPS, and electronic charts on Ipad. All placed us at Barnegat. No radar or chartplotter. We were close inshore, moving cautiously, 4 knots and saw rocks of North Jetty dead ahead in heavy fog. Steered offshore to find entrance markers and lost sight of land. No longer any sight of North, South Jetty, land or markers. Then saw two marks dead ahead in fog. Captain made error of making these marks fit his mental picture: entrance markers. These were not the entrance markers, but were white buoys over submerged North jetty, not shown on my (old) paper charts. Went between the marks and struck the submerged portion of North jetty at 5 knots. Engine stopped and water rose quickly. Ground off the North rocks and carried into the inlet, and attempted to sail in under jib. Water gained quickly. Made Mayday call, Coast Guard responded with amazing speed and professionalism, crew left foundering boat carrying nothing. Boat was carried to rocks of South jetty, settled by the stern until only masts were visible, and quickly began to break apart in waves on the rocks. All crew performed with poise in a moment of great uncertainty. We are much in debt to the response of the US Coast Guard crew at Barnegat Light.

Accident was due to inexperience of skipper, crucial mistake in identifying channel markers, urge to complete voyage to known difficult port in marginal conditions to arrive at destination at stated time, compounded by bad visibility, and low tide. Fatigue of crew due to seasickness was a factor in judgement and in desire to make port.

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
Tom,

Thanks for posting. This is really sad but could have been much worse.

Be careful out there everyone,

JZ

Jan 27, 2012
In reading the story of the Challenger in San Francisco in need of help could there be a new home for some of 'Ode to Joy''s parts?

Two incredibly sad stories I ponder about often.

Jon