I'm taking the time to build a quick boat operational guide

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
As simple in systems Christmas is, it's complicated enough that I don't think someone could come on board and operate the boat without a lot of searching. I realize even my family would have trouble so I thought I'd put something together that I could go over with them, kids now fully grown. And although it's not the norm, there could be the time someone from the local yard needs to move the boat. My target is someone who knows what a raw water seacock or battery switch is but they need to search them out, maybe in a hurry. Also, I want a simple Quick Guide, not a manual, that I know even my son or daughter may use to go on board and off and leave the boat safely. My goal is to have them go out this season alone and bring the boat into the docks.

Once I have something suitable, I'll laminate it and mount it somewhere visible and loose. Details are endless so I'm leaving most out or may use the back for important notes. Does anyone have a better system of doing this? Advice welcome

Attachments

Apr 7, 2006
great idea!

On a similar thread we have pine plugs on strings attached to each seacock in the event there was a catastrophic event- i.e. the seacock itself broke. Always wondered if it was better to have them there next to the "hole" or somewhere else where one could grab them. I think next to the hole is best , but they are very inexpensive and maybe a seperate bag would be a good addition as well. On all my boats (steel tugs on down) we have a hand full of cedar shingles for driving in cracks, etc. They're great since they are tapered soft wood and swell--May be note on the plan where this bag is as well?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That's a good point. I do keep plugs in a bag in a locker along with flares. That works great, as long as it's me that needs them (lol!) I hadn't thought of adding that. Thanks Jon.