I’m taking on water

May 23, 2016
Hunter 146 New Hartford, CT
I just took our Hunter 146 out of the water for the season and found that it had a bunch of water in the hull (after removing the bilge plug it flowed steadily for 10-15 minutes). Earlier this summer I noticed a bunch of water in the bilge so I replaced the plug assy (thinking it could be cracked or a loose fit) and used more Teflon tape to ensure a tight fit. The bilge had been dry ever since until yesterday when the boat came out. Today I removed the plug assy and found it in perfect condition. There are no obvious cracks in the hull . . . where can the water be coming from ?
Mark S.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Rainwater?

Tell us more about the circumstances. Was she in salt or fresh water? How do you know she has been staying dry? What makes you think the water that emptied out was from the body of water she sat in? Does her stern get submerged when launching, retrieving or crew movement during a sail? How much sailing was done between last dry bilge check and retrieval? Have you ever hit a submerged object with the cb or rudder?

Looking at pictures of the H146, there could be a crack in the cb trunk that takes on water under sail. There could be a leak around the rudder mount, the hull deck seam across the stern, the access port, the ID plate rivets, if there is a motor mount. Rainwater leaks around the sheet block, mast step, any penetration through the deck by chainplates, access ports, block mounts, etc..

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 23, 2016
We only sail this boat in one freshwater lake and it remains in the water all season (the stern is never submerged). We sail numerous times every week of the season, May-September. I check the bilge every couple of weeks by opening the aft deck plate. The tip of the cb struck rocks a couple of time years ago (as we learned our lake) but it was straight-on, at relatively slow speeds and the bungee cord did it’s job. We don’t have a motor mount.
I’ve checked all those potential leak areas that you mentioned, except for the cab trunk (the black hole !). No discernible cracks anywhere. It’s a self-bailing boat which should, theoretically, eliminate rainwater as a problem.
So, other than putting the boat on a trailer and taking it to a shop what are the alternatives ? I could just monitor the bilge more often. Some guy told me that a way to find leaks is to put a compressor hose in the bilge plug port and listen for a whistle somewhere . . . is that even a thing ? How do the professionals (boat repair shops) do it ?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Some guy told me that a way to find leaks is to put a compressor hose in the bilge plug port and listen for a whistle somewhere . . . is that even a thing ? How do the professionals (boat repair shops) do it ?
Yes, that's a thing. Depending on your availible equipment, air compressor, shopvac, hair drier... you can do it just like finding the hole in a tire. If the compartment is suppose to be water tight, just pressurize it any way you can and listen for the leak or wash it down with dish soap and water and look for the bubbles.
On big boats, a fan set in the companionway hatch with plastic taped around it is sometimes used.

It’s a self-bailing boat which should, theoretically, eliminate rainwater as a problem.
Where does it bail to? My Mariner is self-bailing, but that means hose scuppers that connect the cockpit to through-hull fittings below. The fittings and the hose are all potential leak points. I plan to eliminate them and drain into the centerboard trunk. The pivot pin on the centerboard is another common leak point.
If it is rain water, anywhere along the hull/deck seam could let water in. This can be hidden behind the rub rail.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 21, 2018
hunter 146 Keuka Lake NY/ Jersey Shore
I was getting a little water in my hull, just after I bought it from the PO. Turned out to be a ton of leaves got jammed in the CB trunk. Guessing the PO left it uncovered in the fall. Was preventing rain water from draining out the bottom , and that was whilst sitting on the trailer. Took me 15 minutes with compressed air to get it all out. Since then no water in the hull for the last two seasons...….even while sitting at the dock for most of the summer. Not sure if that helps, but it could be a another place to check.

May 23, 2016
Were the leaves in the cb trunk visible from the deck ? In my case, only brownish water is visible in the trunk.
As I think about it more, our Hunter has taken on water after we sail with a full load/crew, i.e. with 4 adults. This would imply that the source of the leak would be in a higher spot on the hull, no ? I am thinking there must be something going on in the cb trunk. How does one check that out ? I guess pressurizing the hull and listening for a hiss is worth a try.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Were the leaves in the cb trunk visible from the deck ? In my case, only brownish water is visible in the trunk.
As I think about it more, our Hunter has taken on water after we sail with a full load/crew, i.e. with 4 adults. This would imply that the source of the leak would be in a higher spot on the hull, no ? I am thinking there must be something going on in the cb trunk. How does one check that out ? I guess pressurizing the hull and listening for a hiss is worth a try.
Soapy water wash down and pressurize, doesn't take much pressure. Don't overdo the pressurization lest you blow it up.

Mar 21, 2018
hunter 146 Keuka Lake NY/ Jersey Shore
Not many leaves were visible...so initially I was not sure what was letting water in. Only found out whilst doing a normal cleaning, I used compressed air to get what I thought was only a few out, and tons came out. As far as inspecting for cracks in the trunk itself. You could pull the Cb seal(curtain or whatever you call it) off the bottom of the hull (it attaches with one screw), lower the center board, and get in there with a flash light. Just getting all the old leaf debris out fixed my problem so I went no further.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A common place for cracks is the forward joining between centerboard trunk and hull because of the stress put on that area by rattling centerboard and the lateral strain against the pivot pin when under sail. If you have made contact with the bottom, that too can lead to a break. The damage may be most visible inside the trunk, but you are likely to see it at the bilge.

Here's a couple of pictures I found on the Internet to illustrate.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Do you have a tube for the jib furling that goes in and out of tge thru hull. There could be a leak ir broken line between the thru hulls.