I'm going to do some biggish jobs tomorrow; how should I not die while doing this? - RESOLVED

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 323 Pax River NAS
Hi Guys!

OK, so I have a couple of days off and I'm going to jump in and try a couple of jobs tomorrow.

1) Shore power receptacle replacement. (a prong snapped off)
2) Engine cooling dismantling, looking at, saying "what the heck is this for?" and then putting back together? (I think the engine is overheating)

So, how should I not die or sink while doing this? (only half joking)

Andie

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
In the service manual, there is a section on dismantling the cooling system. Read it.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
In the service manual, there is a section on dismantling the cooling system. Read it.
Thank you, I should have known this. I'm going to read that right now.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Is there something wrong with the cooling system? Or are you just curious?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Before dismantling the cooling system, which is a bit of a pain, why don't you share with us why you think the engine is overheating. I can't remember the details from you other thread, so you may want to remind us which engine you have.

There are other, much easier, things to check before taking off a mixing elbow and its attachments. Plus, the darn thing is heavy, so it's easier with two people.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Is there something wrong with the cooling system? Or are you just curious?
When I brought the boat over the river from Solomons to Pax River, half way across an engine alarm went off and stayed on until I got to Pax River. The seawater impeller had been replaced in the last couple of weeks, and while that was happening, they found a piece of impeller from a failed impeller; I'm wondering if they didn't find all the bits.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Before dismantling the cooling system, which is a bit of a pain, why don't you share with us why you think the engine is overheating. I can't remember the details from you other thread, so you may want to remind us which engine you have.

There are other, much easier, things to check before taking off a mixing elbow and its attachments. Plus, the darn thing is heavy, so it's easier with two people.
It might have been overheating when I brought her over from Solomons to Pax River. I was going to try and find out why.

Another question, the manual says to lubricate the seawater impeller when fitting. Will lanolin work?

The engine is a 2GM20F

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Well, looking for bits of impeller is indeed one reason to take apart the cooling system. Just follow the manual.

I have a 3YM20, and I do not lubricate the impeller.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
lube should be water soluble...KY jelly lube...lol works great

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
lube should be water soluble...KY jelly lube...lol works great
Aha! KY, I have some of that knocking around here. I use it to move heavy stuff in the garage.

My hubby belly laughed when I said "baby, where's that lanolin I bought?" he replied "what lanolin? what are you talking about?", to which I stated as if it was perfectly obvious "Remember when I conditioned the weather stripping on my first corvette 8 years ago? I've been waiting 8 years to use that stuff again!". Yeah, he just laughed and said there was no chance in finding that stuff.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Well, looking for bits of impeller is indeed one reason to take apart the cooling system. Just follow the manual.

I have a 3YM20, and I do not lubricate the impeller.
Will do. I will hopefully find whatever is blocking way before I get to the cooler.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You asked about not sinking...
Do not open the raw water thru hull. All thru hulls are shut while opening and playing with the raw water cooling system.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If you have a smartphone be sure you know how to take pictures and upload them to the forum. It's always easier to help diagnose issues with a picture of the problem.

Working on the electric recepticle, while maybe not as complex as the whole cooling system, could be the riskier task. Be careful that everything is hooked back up correctly. If you're not sure ask someone. There are ways to wire a system that may appear to work but could be unsafe to you or boats around you.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
You could learn from me. I swear every job I’ve ever attempted ended up costing more and taking longer than if I hadda payed someone else to do it. And I still ended up paying someone once I realized I couldn’t do it right myself. Though I am pretty good at cleaning the bottom.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
If you have a smartphone be sure you know how to take pictures and upload them to the forum. It's always easier to help diagnose issues with a picture of the problem.

Working on the electric recepticle, while maybe not as complex as the whole cooling system, could be the riskier task. Be careful that everything is hooked back up correctly. If you're not sure ask someone. There are ways to wire a system that may appear to work but could be unsafe to you or boats around you.
I will take pics while I'm there. How should I bed the receptacle? Should I use butyl tape?

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
You could learn from me. I swear every job I’ve ever attempted ended up costing more and taking longer than if I hadda payed someone else to do it. And I still ended up paying someone once I realized I couldn’t do it right myself. Though I am pretty good at cleaning the bottom.
This is often how my little DIY jobs go. I tried to change a microwave oven which was above our stove once. It was so stuck in place that when I pushed it as hard as I could out of frustration, it went through the wall and landed in the dining room. That was a very silly mistake and cost a lot to fix.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
This should be fun. Hang on Andie, don't start yet. Let me make some popcorn.

By the way, I am in the same boat when it comes to projects. I'm still trying to get my outboard to move down. Grrrrr.....:cuss: