I'm getting giant bids on Uship (?)

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
--UPDATE 11/25 posting--
Trying to move a 30 foot sailboat cross country. Getting giant bids at $10-$12k. :-0

Nothing odd about the boat or destination/origin. Will be prepped and ready to ship. My yard will even lift it, and the destination yard as well.

I thought I had seen similar on this board that cost about 5-6k, and fuel prices are lower now. Can anyone shed some light or rec a shipper?

Ty

Last edited:

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Do you have a narrow timeline on when to move it? If you do then that's probably why the high quotes. Maybe be more flexible. You may find a shipper heading west with an empty trailer.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
One other thing to think about. Remember the old adage "Move MONEY, not BOATS".

The average ask for a 29.9 is what, $15k? Your shipping cost will be 50% of that. That's a huge percentage of the value to move it. Your boat your call, but I'd be looking into selling it and using the saved coin to upgrade out west.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
$2 a mile, each way just for fuel and the truck....then a few bucks profit...

think sell here and buy there...

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
$2 a mile, each way just for fuel and the truck....then a few bucks profit...
I was going to say 2-3 bucks a mile depending on the carrier. Toss the oversized width into the equation, you need a permit for each state you're running thru. Most states you can only run oversized loads during the day. Some states there are set hours for running oversized loads so there could also be down time in between states.

IMHO, if your running cross country 3-3.5K miles, the prices you're getting are probably legit.

Bob

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Cross country= coast to coast? one day to load four days travel, one day to unload, four days travel back. Sounds like two weeks for a 250,000 dollar truck and trailer and a driver, fuel for 6000 miles, sleeper cab or motel rooms, meals, insurance.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
Annapolis to San Diego is 2700 miles. $10k is not out of line. Maybe check shippers on the west coast and see if anyone has an empty trailer coming back from the east. Could save you a ton.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Cross country= coast to coast? one day to load four days travel, one day to unload, four days travel back. Sounds like two weeks for a 250,000 dollar truck and trailer and a driver, fuel for 6000 miles, sleeper cab or motel rooms, meals, insurance.
And permitting. Maybe auxiliary vehicle for wide load, rooms for sleeping and meals. One truck driver told me he wasn't allowed to travel on certain days or cross bridges at certain hours. I don't really see how it could be done for very much less. I've seen some truckers bring boats into our shipyard on the East End of LI and they mostly look like they wished they never took the job, after traveling through NYC. So it's expensive for the transporter and hence expensive for you. I like Jackdaw's adage: Move money not boats.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Ok thanks.
I thought I had seen others ship for less. My error. I'll have to work it out.

I'd hate to sell. Have a lot of love into her restoration. Also not the typical 29.9. She's the last hull built. And with and a long list of features not found on previous versions including a fast tall rig and much prettier lines and interior. -pics in profile- There are only 2 other boats like her but without the tall rig and tall toe rail. A genuine one of a kind.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Some decisions aren't about dollars and cents.
But you should consider if this is the boat for the way you will use it on the West coast before deciding to transport it. Look hard at how you will actually use it. Maybe there's a boat there that would suit your use better. It's hard to give up one you know, but different areas have different needs.
As someone who is considering relocation, I can tell you that the boat is a big part of the plan - whatever it is.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
just sail it down to the canal and cross over to the pacific and have a grand time doing it unless you have a professional obligation that will not allow

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I just received 2 bids from UShip for shipping a 35 foot sailboat from Chicago to NY. The prices were $5400 and $5900. Last year I was talking with a shipper who was delivering a boat to the yard where I keep my boat during the winter. We were discussing shipping sailboats by UShip and he shared some information that stuck in my head. This particular shipper goes under a few different names and bids the same shipment multiple times. So if no other company is bidding on your shipment, the numbers you might be getting could be from the same person. You might be better off making phone calls to shippers on your own. I'm trying to arrange a pick up and drop off of two boats thereby assuring that the shipper will not return with an empty truck. So far I was able to save $500 which doesn't seem to be an equitable savings considering they have to make the return trip anyway. Keep us posted with your findings especially if you find a reputable and reasonable shipper.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
A wide delivery window saves allot. Also wait a week or so more... The price will drop allot!
I had prices ranging from 5-6k to haul a Mac26 on it's own trailer form Austin Texas to Detroit. A week later I had an offer of $1000. I told him he was the 2nd $1000 bid and he went to $900!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
So you lied ...

I had prices ranging from 5-6k to haul a Mac26 on it's own trailer form Austin Texas to Detroit. A week later I had an offer of $1000. I told him he was the 2nd $1000 bid and he went to $900!
and tricked a guy out of $100. Possibly somebody who needed the money to feed his family. The ugly reputation of yacht owners is often deserved ...

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I just received 2 bids from UShip for shipping a 35 foot sailboat from Chicago to NY. The prices were $5400 and $5900. Last year I was talking with a shipper who was delivering a boat to the yard where I keep my boat during the winter. We were discussing shipping sailboats by UShip and he shared some information that stuck in my head. This particular shipper goes under a few different names and bids the same shipment multiple times. So if no other company is bidding on your shipment, the numbers you might be getting could be from the same person. You might be better off making phone calls to shippers on your own. I'm trying to arrange a pick up and drop off of two boats thereby assuring that the shipper will not return with an empty truck. So far I was able to save $500 which doesn't seem to be an equitable savings considering they have to make the return trip anyway. Keep us posted with your findings especially if you find a reputable and reasonable shipper.
Ted asked for updates so am posting.
Found a shipper with the correct equipment, etc. it's a hotshot carrier as another poster suggested. Name is 7 Seas Marine. They have so far been very helpful in arranging the time slot to fit my needs. I'll update again if anything odd happens.
Cost is $8k. I'm doing the decom/recom so the only additional costs are the lifts and the mast cranes.
My face contorts in a very unique way when I think about the cost. However, I looked for boats in CA and even if I sold her and added the shipping cost there is nothing I want. We are moving and there's no turning back so the boat comes with us.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
....Cost is $8k............. I looked for boats in CA and even if I sold her and added the shipping cost there is nothing I want. .........so the boat comes with us.
Well for one I think you are doing the right thing. You like your boat, you know your boat, you can slip your boat there and you could easily put $8000 into a boat you buy to bring her to the same place as the boat you now own and have without all the drama behind doing that.

Pay the $8000, put it behind you and enjoy your new location,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

kito

Sep 13, 2012
I agree. If $8k is the best offer than just pay it and don't think about it. If you sold your boat where it's at you would probably get less than what you want. Then your new boat on the west coast will need upgrades to satisfy your needs. Life's too short to worry about $8k. Your just helping a trucker pay his mortgage and feed his family for a couple months is all.