Ignition wiring

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
So, I did it again. Fixed one problem and created another. My stop cable was stuck so I pulled a new one through. Works perfectly.
Unfortunately, in the process, I seem to have screwed up the ability to start the engine on bank 2. Bank 1 still works and Bank 2 worked until I changed the stop cable. I might have shorted or disconnected something pulling cable. Anyway, attached is a picture of the back of the starter panel. Everything looks to be connected correctly except the thin red wire (top right), but there doesn't seem to be any obvious place that it would have been connected before. I don't know if it was connected before. I tried to trace the red wire at the other end and it seems to enter a bundle under the quarter berth including a bunch of identical wires going to the back of the DC panel.
When I turn the key on bank two I sometimes get the pressure alarm, loud or soft, or sometimes nothing. Nothing when I turn the key.
Any suggestions? I am DC novice.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If it works on bank one, then the panel and wiring there is fine..
Engine Front.JPG

Bad connection between the battery of bank 2 and the battery selector switch.. since you were in the vicinity of the connections on the back of the battery switch, my guess is that ya got something a little loose.. The big red wires in this picture coming from the wall to the left of the engine.. Be VERY careful with putting a wrench around there to tighten the nuts on the connections.. If a wrench were to be on the connection and touch the engine, it may weld itself to the block followed shortly by a big fire.. A couple of layers of towel draped over the heat exchanger to insulate the wrench from the battery voltage is definitely in order..

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
I didn't think I touched anything around there above the stop cable, but I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You may not have touched the Battery switch but moving or tugging a wire can loosen it. Your problem will be found somewhere in the connections of the high capacity wires, Loose connections in these wires will create heat and can cause fires. Make sure all connections including at the battery terminals are clean and tight. The circuits to the control panel serve all battery banks as dictated by the battery switch, If it works to start the engine on #1 it will work on #2.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Well, as usual, you guys were right. Strangely, the loose connection wasn't around the switch in the engine compartment, but at the battery leads. How they both got loosened and why it occured just when I was working on another part of the boat is a mystery...but I'd rather go sailing than solve it.